280mm wide solid oak flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are laying 280mm wide solid oak flooring over a screeded floor over warm water under floor heating (yes I know........don't do it). The cottage is 15th/16th century grade 2 listed and this is what has been laid elsewhere. We also want to achieve a very rustic, country look because the cottage was originally where the animals lived (people lived on the upper floor).

We will use a damp proof course under the concrete, and we will ensure both the oak & concrete have dried out to the required levels before laying it. And we are expecting to have to sand the floor at some point to address cupping. The floor area will be approx 20 square metres.

We will also use some kind of primer over the concrete and also a product such as an MS Polymer as the adhesive because it's cleaner, less toxic & apparently has more flex than the other more usual glue (not sure if I can mention brand names here).

What primer should we use over the concrete?

And has anyone ever laid such wide boards over warm water under floor heating before with any success?? I'm looking for some encouragement :confused: I'm researching this for my restoration builder partner but everything/everyone is screaming "don't do it"! He is absolutely set on the project and has purchased the wood already.

Sponsored Links
What do you want us to say? DON'T DO IT ;)
Solid wood floors on UFH is possible, ONLY if the boards are narrow. If your partner is set on this 280mm wide, he's in for a disaster!

There are wide-board Wood-Engineered around, mega-boards in the Duoplank range: 240mm wide. This will be much better than continuing with the 280mm wide solid.
Better turned halfway than failing miserable in the end and having to start all over again (what do you think the costs of that would be?)

280mm solid over underfloor heating?? :eek:

Normally i would say dont do this, but as you already know that you should not do this i must say you must be stupid or something if you are still going to go ahead!

You need a engineered product not a solid, or forget the underfloor heating and change to skirting heating or even ceiling heating if you dont want to see radiators on the walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back