28mm log cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at getting a log cabin in my back to use as a office. The one I have seen what is within budget is 28mm thick. Will this be warm in winter with a heater or are these only for spring/summer use ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The one we have (about 4m by 3m internally) is about that thickness and is absolutely freezing in winter, even with a couple of fan heaters - and you're closer to the coast than us. The solution will be to insulate and dryline the walls, ceiling and floor, but this will add considerably to the cost. So you might want to look at getting a cheaper and thus thinner timber structure and spend more insulating it.

whilst wood is a good insulator when compared with metal or glass
compared with insulating materials like foam or rockwool insulation it still allows possibly 75% heat loss

you would need about 4 to 6kw heat input to keep a 9m square area at around 21 degrees in a 0 to 5 below zero day

this will be around 10p a kw so 40 to 60p an hour to heat so assuming 10 hours at say 50p so £5 a day in the coldest days £35 a week and with winter averaging say 10 weeks around £350 to heat

Hence why during the winter, our paperwork is done at the dining table :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I have sen one that is 44mm thick and it states this is enough for all year round it is alot more expensive. What would be the best option in way of heat, a 28mm and insulate internally or a 44mm and do not insulate ? As I do like the wood look and insulating would take this away.

Thanks

I have sen one that is 44mm thick and it states this is enough for all year round it is alot more expensive. What would be the best option in way of heat, a 28mm and insulate internally or a 44mm and do not insulate ? As I do like the wood look and insulating would take this away.

Thanks
Clearly the 28 and insulated would be more efficient. However, I can understand the appeal of the timber look from personal experience and so I'd advise of a compromise - 44mm, but insulate the floor by laying celotex on the timbers supplied and laminate over it, and similarly the ceiling with the use of timber cladding. If I really needed my cabin during the winter, that's the way I'd go

you can use a bus shelter all the year round so a pointless statement really

my shed has 18mm ply covered with 4 layers off felt supported by 76mm off timber[2x3"] then 6mm ply underneath so 100mm off wood plus felt
between the timbers is 75mm off loft insulation
when the snow is on the roof there are tram lines in the snow where the roof timbers are

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back