3 core SWA colours

syl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need the best part of 100m of 10mm2 3 core SWA to bury in a trench between my house and outbuildings. The connections will be done by a professional (who has approved the design and is happy for me to dig the trenches and bury the cable).

2 quick questions:

1) Is it preferable to use single phase colours? If yes, very much so or just a little but it doesn't really matter as long as they are over sleeved at the terminations? Most suppliers tend to use 3 phase colours, hence they are generally cheaper.

2) Although this single phase cable looks relatively cheap. Is it pukka cable? I don't mind the colour, unless it will affect durability. Most will be underground, some will be in the garage and a short run will be clipped to a wall, north facing, under a ledge (so no sun).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWA-cable...ls_Supplies_Electrical_ET&hash=item2c736c89a8

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Personally I would over sleeve three phase cable but at 100 meters my question has to be will you be using the DNO or house earth as at that length I would have been looking a TT and not using the house earth in which case don't really need 3 core cable.

It is down to a risk assessment and without being on site looking are where other buildings are it can't really be assessed as to which earth type is best but I would check with your electrician as to type of cable required.

Thanks.

(DNO earth. It's not a single run of 100m, there are three outbuildings. The property is pretty much ringed on its boundary by the PME supply on overhead cable anyway. The electrician has visited and is aware of the earthing arrangement and 10mm 3 core SWA, but didn't specify colour of cores).

Violet sheathed cable ? Now where is that used ?

Condition:
New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging (where packaging is

Project surplus to clear in VIOLET outer sheath

No VAT on this item as not VAT registered

Dubious source, maybe dubious quality.

Your electrician may be able to get cable of known quality from a reputable source at a lower price,

Sponsored Links
Violet sheathed cable ? Now where is that used ?
Street lighting in Scotland, communications power for motorways and trunk roads in E&W.

Dubious source,
You have no way of knowing that.

maybe dubious quality.
BASEC approved; 6943X type

Standard BS5467

Stranded copper conductors to BS EN 60228:2005

And the seller has 100% positive feedback on over 2000 transactions in the last 11 years.

I'm sure he'd be happy to explain how he came by it, and why it's those colours. Unlikely to be flogging stolen road cable on eBay, I feel.

Your electrician may be able to get cable of known quality from a reputable source at a lower price,
£2.55/m is pretty good.

Well that applies to 99.99% of stuff on eBay.

And 100% of the electrical installation in any non-new build house you buy :confused:

If the seller was able to supply and prove the provenance of the item then it would be far less dubious.

B A S said:
And 100% of the electrical installation in any non-new build house you buy icon_confused.gif
Why exclude new builds ? Some of the electric installations in new builds are dubious.

Nothing wrong with use BROWN BLACK GREY on single phase, and sleeve accordingly. It is pretty much expected.

The only times I have seen single phase coloured armoured, or 5 core armoured (earth), have been either DIYers or maintenance "electricians"!!!

Purple sheath would not be my choice, but I guess there is little wrong. Te guy is selling loads of cables, and has done for years. I guess he either has a wholesale business, is part of the manufacturers/distributors, or is part of large company who work on over inflated contracts where over ordering is the norm.

Purple sheath would not be my choice, but I guess there is little wrong. Te guy is selling loads of cables, and has done for years. I guess he either has a wholesale business, is part of the manufacturers/distributors, or is part of large company who work on over inflated contracts where over ordering is the norm.

A neighbour of mine once claimed to have rewired his house entirely in MI, all courtesy of the London Underground... :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back