swa cable colours

Sponsored Links
I had no idea it was this complicated the swa is to connect the switch fuse in the meter box to the cu in the house and it is more convenient for me to bury this now as i have ground work equipment on site. The electrician wont be on site until spring next year to do the install. I hope that is clearer.
Regards Ted

I had no idea it was this complicated the swa is to connect the switch fuse in the meter box to the cu in the house and it is more convenient for me to bury this now as i have ground work equipment on site. The electrician wont be on site until spring next year to do the install. I hope that is clearer.
Thanks. That's what I had assumed. Installing some ducting with a draw cord sems to be the obvious answer - leaving all options open for your electrician, when his/her time comes. I imagine that (s)he may well have to run a separate earthing conductor (in addition to the SWA), in which case (s)he may well decide to go with 2-core SWA. As a matter of interest, is this all completely new and not yet connected up, or is the switch fuse already connected to the CU - and, if so, how?

Kind Regards, John.

Its all new, it is in fact a barn conversion with no previous services to it.
Just so I know what is the overall diameter of 25mm swa I only have 32/38mm duct here and it has been suggested that I use 50mm or more.
regards Ted.

Sponsored Links
Its all new, it is in fact a barn conversion with no previous services to it.
Just so I know what is the overall diameter of 25mm swa I only have 32/38mm duct here and it has been suggested that I use 50mm or more.
The outside diameter of 3-core 25mm² SWA is about 25mm; 2-core would be a bit smaller, but I don't have figures to hand. Particularly if a separate earthing conductor was being run, I imagine that would get impractically tight (particularly if there were any bends or corners) with ducting much smaller than 50mm. I presume (since you're asking about it!) that there is a good reason why the cable has to be buried? I think you need to talk to the electrician who will be doing the work to ascertain what they feel would be possible and practical.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back