3 flats rewired

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys
A house needs converting into 3 seperate one bedroom flats on 3 floors, each with its own supply.
Is this more than likely to need a 3phase supply?

Sponsored Links
not nessecarily a 3 phase supply, but 3 service heads definitely, depending on the technicalities of the installation.

crafty,
do you by any chance know of a link that can give me more info on this three service heads?

3 one bedroom flats, all could possibly have an electric cooker and a shower, so 3 consumer units and 3 meters?

JackTheCat said:
3 one bedroom flats, all could possibly have an electric cooker and a shower, so 3 consumer units and 3 meters?

See in your house, there is a consumer unit, meter and main fuse, then the main cable coming in? There may be other boxes, but this is the basic setup that each flat will need. Depending on the layout and structure of the building, it may be convenient to have the meters and main fuses together, in which case a 3-phase main fuse/service head would probably be used, with one cable going back out to the street. But the consumer units will be placed within each flat, probably with armoured cable going back to the meters.

The other way to do it is to duplicate the single phase service fuse and meter and CU in each flat, with seperate supply cables going out to the street.

Sponsored Links
crafty, the latter suggestion of yours seems more feasable...
I am just getting to grips with normal 1 phase housewiring, and then this bloke rings with this job.

Today, i declined to go and look at this job until im knocking out standard houses blindfolded.

I am very interested in finding out more information about the different types of supply the local electric company provides though, when maybe i endevour to approach a job like this maybe next year or so...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back