3 gang dimmer switch

Sponsored Links
it's obviously been like this for some time though?

I don't understand why there are 2 missing though.

So, is my new dimmer no good as it's a metal one?
Will a plastic one be safe as that's what was there before or is it just unsafe alltogether do you know?

ok, sorry about this, I was a bit confused as to why the earth cable was twice as thick as all the others. Upon closer inspection it appears that the earth sleeving has been added and there are more than one copper wires running through them... in fact two of them contain two copper wires, so there's my five, right?

Does that sound right? If so am I ok just to wire a small piece of earth cable from the block they are in to the back of my face plate?

Sponsored Links
You need a multimeter to identify whether your blacks are neutrals - I guess they are, judging by the block, and which is your live feed.

If the blacks are neutrals, they go in a block. The earths get sleeved, go to the switch box terminal (if metal box), and a flylead to the dimmer plate. The red live feed goes to the first Common & is looped through. The remaining must be switchwires (three?) trial & error but they goto L1's or L2's. Does not matter in a dimmer which one.

Just would like to thank davex,breezer and securespark for their help...all sorted and works a treat. More importantly there were no fatalities :LOL:

Great site this and I've a feeling I'll be on here quite often

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back