3 pin low energy bulbs???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Im not sure if this is the right forum but here goes anyway..... I moved into my newly built house in feb 06 and most the light fittings in the house only take 3 pin bulbs and i cant seem to find anywhere that sells them. I came across one website but they were nearly £9 a bulb! And when i need aprox 6 at the moment it will work out very expensive. I contacted the contractors that built the house and they werent much help. They just said that these are a new fitting to try to eventually get everyone in thge country to use them so we have to use low energy. I have asked around all main and local DIY shops and they either have never heard of 3 pin and cant get hold of them, or they are too expensive! So what do i do? Where can i buy them from that isnt going to cost me and arm and a leg?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I will get back to you tomoorow with the details if i can find them. I know i had a label from one of the bulbs somewhere, but got to sort it out.

derrrrr....silly me. Hve just found the details on the bulb!!! Anyway its a BC3 230v. Is that any help? [/img]

Sponsored Links
Some on ebay:
clicky
From what I gather the only reason for using this type of lamp holder is to restrict the user from inserting a normal incandescent lamp in order to keep building control happy.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
They are set at 120deg.

How are you at replacing pendent sets? :LOL:

From what I gather the only reason for using this type of lamp holder is to restrict the user from inserting a normal incandescent lamp in order to keep building control happy.

Yes thats right. Thats what i was told by the contractors. So does anyone know how long a low energy bulb should last? Most of mine havnt even lasted a year! Have looked on ebay thanks, and the cheapest i could find was £4.99 so i suppose thats not too bad. Just wish somewhere local would start supplying them.
Thanks for the advice anyway

Most people take them down and fit a fancier light fitting - pendents are kind of out of fashion :confused:

I had the same problem. The electrican was still on-site when we moved in and said it was down to regulations and he had to fit them in the hall and stairways.

He suggested Ikea, I could not find them there. I plan to change the fitting to a standard bayonet type when they blow.

We have changed a number of fittings so we have a surplus of the 'standard' type.

PS By the time they light up I am already at the top of the stairs!

Yes thats very true that they take ages to light up! Whats the point. Think I will probably end up getting them all changed in the end.

Most CFL lamps are now instant start, but many do take a while to reach satisfactory brightness.

Try Wilko's own-brand. We have one of their 21 watt lamps on the landing, and it lights straight away, full brightness too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back