3 planks of wood in loft

W

wycleff

Hi i have boarded my loft so we can use it just for a scalextric to be set up. The problem i have is there's 3 planks of wood from the roof to the floor down the middle they don't seem to be load bearing as there too thin. My question is what are they for? And can i take them away and put something else in instead?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20161008_182631.jpg
    IMG_20161008_182631.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 249
Sponsored Links
I would leave them alone they look like they are forming your roof trusses into two triangles for strength, they may look thin but the don't need to be thick if they are in tension.

Thanks for the reply could i brace the triangles of the roof frame with a piece of joist across the top keeping the strength? Somebody told me they might be to support the joists of the ceiling below but they are too close to the supporting wall for that i would of thought.

I'm not an expert on structural timbers and roof trusses (I belong to one of those trades that merrily chop bits out to get our pipes through:whistle:) but I would leave them alone myself, hopefully another member can suggest an alternative.(y)

Sponsored Links
They are Hangers usually supporting Binders. Binders that keep the joists in plane.

Why they've been dropped in such positions is impossible to know without exposing below the ply flooring to see what and how they are connected to?
Until you know more leave them alone as suggested above.

FWIW: You appear to have two roof windows (Velux?) - they have not been correctly trimmed in with double framing - this could lead to roof sag.
You should get the chimney stack flashings inspected.

A local joiner on site could give you some advice.

Thanks for the reply we have just had a roofing company strip and redo the whole roof they fitted the velux and pointed the chimney and there's new flashing around the chimney. Can i ask why you asked me to get my chimney flashing inspected? Thanks

So? The Velux trimming framing is wrong.

Look at the salt staining on the c/breast brickwork - maybe the flashing was seen to during the roof work. Or maybe its some kind of moisture penetration or ventilation problem due to an unswept flue?

So? What? As i said the whole roof has been replaced due to it having failed in many places hence the salt staining. The chimney was swept and leak tested before the fireplace was bricked up. So as i can see your comments about lots of things that i didn't ask about are not relevant as to the original question i asked about you couldn't answer so i will ask a professional.

Andy,
there's no way this is just "for a Scalextric to be set up" - what we are looking at is a loft conversion without the benefit of BCO.

Free advice about things that i didn't ask about and no answer to the question i asked about. Thanks but i will look elsewhere.

Topic closed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back