3 way lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing the switches on a 3 switch lighting circuit. The wiring is already in place for two 3 way switches and an intermediate switch. The switches I want to use only have a 2 way and an intermediate in the range. Can I use intermediate switches in place of 3 way switches? Terminals 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 would be linked to form the common as for a 3 way and the remaining terminals would act as the other two terminals of a 3 way.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
3 switches means you need two 2 way and one intermediate,

you do not require a 3 way switch

Sponsored Links
MK do a grid module which is on-off-on (i.e. centre off), but I was taught to call that a double-throw switch.

There doesn't seem to be a standard for switch identification. I have just bought some switches which are marked as 2 way, what they actually are is Single Throw, Double Pole switches. Many sites mention 3 way switches which have three terminals, one common which toggles between the other two when the switch is operated. Is this really a three way switch? To me it is a Changeover switch. As for an Intermediate switch, again the common view seems to be that it is a four terminal switch that alternately links each pair of poles when the switch is operated.
My understanding is that for 3 switch system in which any switch can operate the lights irrespective of the position of the others, changeover switches need to be used.

There doesn't seem to be a standard for switch identification. I have just bought some switches which are marked as 2 way, what they actually are is Single Throw, Double Pole switches.
Unless that's what you want, return them and complain, as they are most definitely not 2-way switches.

Unless you are an American.

Many sites mention 3 way switches which have three terminals, one common which toggles between the other two when the switch is operated. Is this really a three way switch?
No, it's a 2-way switch.

Unless you are an American.

Are these many sites UK ones?

To me it is a Changeover switch.
I suggest you stop using that term, or it will be hard to find people selling what you think you need.

As for an Intermediate switch, again the common view seems to be that it is a four terminal switch that alternately links each pair of poles when the switch is operated.
It's a 4 terminal switch. Whether "alternately links each pair of poles when the switch is operated" is a good description of what it does is questionable, but it's not easy to describe it without the aid of a diagram however you word it.

My understanding is that for 3 switch system in which any switch can operate the lights irrespective of the position of the others, changeover switches need to be used.
Not quite.

For a 3 switch system in which any switch can operate the lights irrespective of the position of the others you need 2 changeover switches (in your terminology, but as advised you'd be better off saying 2 2-way switches) and 1 intermediate switch.

None of the switches you need are "3-way".

Look at the Wiki article you were directed to in the very first reply and all will become clear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back