3 way lighting

Thanks Riveralt. That has told me all I need to know.
He told you that in the very first reply....

I was replying to his first post. My second post was only added to highlight (in my view) how descriptions of switches can be misleading. Mine are marked as 2 way on the packaging when they are actually single way 2 pole. Anyway, happy now.

Sponsored Links
An intermediate switch is a switch that sits between 2 2way switches. The intermediate switch doesn't carry a common which is why in a domestic setting you will see the common terminated into a connector block or similar. It only carries the 2 strappers (in/out) if you have a problem try and find a diagram explaining the conversion method of a 2 way switch and understand that first. Don't be confused with the conventional method which is only really used in conduit wiring systems as you run the separate cores individually.

Cheers
Dan the sparks

I was replying to his first post. My second post was only added to highlight (in my view) how descriptions of switches can be misleading. Mine are marked as 2 way on the packaging when they are actually single way 2 pole. Anyway, happy now.

2 pole switches have 4 connections, they are usually used where double poled isolation is required i.e. where you want to break line and neutral.

2 way switches have 3 connections, one common and the other two connections connect to the common (one or the other) depending on the position of the switch.

Intermediate switchs have 4 connections, 2 in and 2 out. Depending on the position of the switch they either connect straight through or cross over.

A 1 gang switch is a single switch on a plate, it can be 1 way, 2 way, intermediate, double pole etc etc etc.

A 2 gang switch has two switches, unless grid are two of the same type.

Sponsored Links
Mine are marked as 2 way on the packaging when they are actually single way 2 pole.
Then they were wrongly described and you could (should? did?) get them replaced.

Descriptions can't be misleading unless they are wrong - it's not a question of interpretation, or different conventions - a single pole 2-way switch is not the same as a 2-pole 1-way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back