30 amp socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i am building a shed to build my kit car in its about 10-15 meters from my house i want to buy a clarke mig elder 151en ,Unit operates from 230v, 1ph power supply (30 amps minimum) ,i know that a normal plug socket gives out 13 amps but does an eletric cooker socket give out 30 amps and if so can i add an extra socket to the cooker wire and only use the welder when the cooker is off ,or do i have to wire a whole new circuit up? .I dont mind using an extension cable because i wont be welding all the time and to cut down on cost as i am skint. if anybody has any ideas or surgestions it would be brillant
cheers Ian

Sponsored Links
You may be "skint" but you still need to do this job correctly, for you & your families safety.

It is notifiable. If your welder needs 30A, then it cannot come from a socket outlet, even on a cooker circuit. A s/o is 13A maximum, whatever circuit it's on.

What does the welder handbook say about wiring it up??

hi its this model http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLARKE-PRO-GA...QQihZ020QQcategoryZ113743QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
i have a sparky coming round tommrow to give me a quote there is another one that only needs a 15 amp will that be cheaper to wire up ,i dont mind paying i just dont want to have to spend hunderends also a extension cable cant be that bad can it ? if the wire is rated 4 the power, i will roll it up to store it when i am not using it. i am not planing to keep the extesion cable out all time thats just asking for trouble, i am not going to be welding for long . so how much whould i need to pay for a 30 amp socket coming form my hosue to a shed 15 meters away ? just so i dont get ripped off
cheers ian

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
You can't use an extension lead for this purpose, even at 15A it's still more than you can plug into a socket outlet.

Regarding the price, who knows? It varies considerably with location, difficulty of job, current material prices, the time it will take etc. The best option is to get a couple of quotes from different registered electricians and use those to get an idea of the going rate in your area and for your particular job.

karhn said:
i have a sparky coming round tommrow to give me a quote there is another one that only needs a 15 amp will that be cheaper to wire up ,i dont mind paying i just dont want to have to spend hunderends also a extension cable cant be that bad can it ?

I can almost assure you that it will run into the hundreds to have this work done. If you aren't too fussed about running a temporary extension while you're working then get a quote to have a 32A CEE17 single phase industrial socket installed on a dedicated circuit somewhere on the outside of the house. You will then be able to buy an extension lead with the correct plugs/sockets off the shelf in most wholesalers and even some DIY sheds.

Theres a lot of considerations here, not least that if you only have a 60A supply to your cut-out, this will suck up half your capacity whilst you weld. Better tell her indoors not to use the shower or cook your tea while you weld!

The last suggestion is the cheapest, but still not cheap!. Can't you get welders that just plug in? Is 15A the minimum. I certainly remember my dad having a welder (for reasons unknown, he couldn't weld, nor did he ever try. Must have been a man thing they used to do before "new men" arrived!) that only had a common or garden 13amp BS1363 plug on it.

All in all, you want it? You gotta pay for it! Sorry! :confused:

cheers guys i will get a quote on the 32A CEE17 single phase industrial socket if the worst happens i will have to get a smaller welder that will run of the normal socket
cheers again

hi the sparky didnt turn up anyway i have had a look at the crabtree and on the sockets its say b32 61/b32 does this mean its rated for 32 amps ?
cheers

To make a 30 amp extension lead 15 metres long:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA4F3.html 4mm 3 core black flex
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...Index/Plugs_and_Sockets_Ind_240v_1/index.html
in the last link you will need one of each of the first 3 products listed. A plug to start the extension, a socket for the house wall, and a trailing socket for the shed end of the lead. You may also need another plug for the welder to plug into the ext lead.

You'll also need some 4mm cable in the house back to the consumer unit with a 32 amp MCB. Also recommend an isolator near the socket inside the house.

As this is a new circuit you need to notify building control before starting this. Their fee may run over £100. This is a legal requirement.

ideal cheers
the only problem is i dont have anywhere spare to put a new mcb all the slots on the box are full , i am new to all of this but doesnt it mean i can draw 32 amps through the sockets ? can i just replace a normal socket that i am not using with the one you provided in the link
cheers Ian

karhn said:
ideal cheers
the only problem is i dont have anywhere spare to put a new mcb all the slots on the box are full , i am new to all of this but doesnt it mean i can draw 32 amps through the sockets ? can i just replace a normal socket that i am not using with the one you provided in the link
cheers Ian
NO! you cannot and MUST NOT replace a 13 amp socket with a 30 amp socket! the ring main is rated at 30 amps, and a 30 amp socket would throw it out of balance and mean you're maxing it out when using the welder. your welder MUST have its own circuit. I recommend you get an electrician to fit a new 2-way consumer unit near your existing one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back