35 year old Ideal Concord C200 series 2 boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Where I work is an Ideal Concord C200 series 2 boiler which is 35 years old. Firstly British Gas have refused to do their annual strip down service because they say there are asbestos containing products within the appliance - is this correct?
Secondly I am trying to do a cost-benefit analysis to persuade my bosses that it is worth replacing this inefficiant boiler for a new one. Can anyone tell me how inefficient this old boiler is compared to new boilers - and does anyone know a consultant who would be willing to do the coswt benefit analysis for me as a part of seeling me a new boiler?
Thanks all!
Louise

Sponsored Links
A boiler from that era will almost certainly contain asbestos, in gaskets rope seals and perhaps combustion chamber front linings.
Not sure if yours is open flued or room sealed but if it had a large flue pipe going up from the boiler to outside it's a fair bet that is asbestos cement too.

An old boiler will be at best 75% efficient more likely at that age it's more like 60%, there are claims ranging from 85% to 90+% for modern boilers, certainly a big increase in efficiency can be expected.

There is much to be said about new boilers, but to offset they can be much more expensive to maintain, far more to go wrong etc, your Concord C200 may or may not contain Asbestos, is not overly efficient, but only has two working parts to go wrong, both are still available as spares too! early Concords were full of Asbestos but this was eliminated on later versions, Has your Business not has an ASBESTOS REGISTER compiled (a legal requirement for all commercial buildings!!) that would tell you where any asbestos is located! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back