Advice on replacing very old ideal standard concord c 170 boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need advice on whether to replace my reliable but (maybe inefficient?) old ideal standard concord c 170 boiler or not.

I recently moved into an old property which survived the WW bombings and has around 4000sft space. I can see that the radiators (around 17) are old and has no TRVs.

Replacing would require it to be moved to a new location and more pipe. If I keep the radiator replacement out of picture for now, should I replace the boiler or not? Its been going strong all these years but i hear they are inefficient and soon will problems finding parts (not much parts to deal with though) and also failure to find the right knowledgable person to deal with any problems. Most plumbers would recommend replacing it with two boilers - one for heating and one for hot water. With government plans to get rid of gas boilers, is it worth replacing it now? Is it worth replacing something strong and reliable with modern delicate boilers?

I am attaching pictures to see if anyone has done similar replacement and how they reflect on the replacement decision. I can see the strong argument that the old boiler is inefficient as it has a pilot and consumes a lot of gas. Many thanks for your input.

Attachments

• IMG_3848.jpeg
    IMG_3848.jpeg
    440.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3847.jpeg
    IMG_3847.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3846.jpeg
    IMG_3846.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3848.jpeg
    IMG_3848.jpeg
    440.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3845.jpeg
    IMG_3845.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3844.jpeg
    IMG_3844.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3843.jpeg
    IMG_3843.jpeg
    355.6 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
You can use a lot of gas for the price of replacing that boiler. If it works and is reliable I'd keep it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back