38mm deep back box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Am looking to buy a dual back box and a 2g backbox (PVC).
The backbox is 38mm deep but there isnt a 38mm 2g backbox.

I want to sit them almost next to each other so wanted them to be flush. Is there a logical reason to why they are 38mm?

They are to go in the garage, the dual is to house 2 FCUs (one for light and the other for power) and the 2g is for a switch socket.

Thanks, Chris.[/url]

Sponsored Links
You may get the boxes the same depth, but the accessories may have plates of different thicknesses...

From QVS on line:

2G 25mm pattress: ZZSL2GP
Dual Accessory 25mm Patress: ZZSLP2DA

http://www.qvsdirect.com/Plastic-Pattress-Back-Boxes-c-871.html

Unless you wanted MK specifically.

The other option is to get back boxes of differing depths but fit accessories with plate thicknesses such that the finished articles on the wall are the same depth.

Despite looking through all the various MK catalogues I have, I can't find the plate thicknesses for the spur & socket.

Maybe they're on-line?

Sponsored Links
Use two single boxes instead of the dual box. Accessories mounted so they touch always look like crap, they will look much better with a 25mm gap between them.

Looking back, it looks like he wants to surface-mount them. And I've missed the fact it's a conduit-fed installation: he wants PVC boxes.

In which case, I don't know of any PVC dual boxes. You'd normally just fix two 1G boxes and join them up.

Thanks for the replies.

I do like to stick with MK but am happy to deviate for this purpose. Tbh, the cost of the MK 2G RCD socket is enough to send me away from mk this time.

It is surface mounted PVC I wanted, clipped direct to keep the cost down.

TLC have got a contactum RCD, what are they like as a brand?

I don't know of any PVC dual boxes.

Click the link on the opening post all will be revealed. :)

I have. That's not PVC, that's a standard moulded pattress.

The OP has now confirmed he wants to clip cables direct, so I assume when he says PVC, he means a standard surface-mounted pattress: it doesn't have to be made from PVC.

Now you mention an RCD-socket. In this case, having pattresses the same depth will not matter because the plate depth of the RCD socket is much more than that of a fused spur, or requires a deeper pattress.

Your best bet is to find equipment that when fixed on the wall has the same depth.

TLC have got a contactum RCD, what are they like as a brand?

Contactum is a budget brand. They went bust last year and has recently started trading again.
If you were placing a bet between MK and Contactum on which would still be here in 10 years time. Where would you put your money??

If you were placing a bet between MK and Contactum on which would still be here in 10 years time. Where would you put your money??

Well having had 4 MK DSSO with neon fail in our kitchen since it was fitted 8 years ago.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back