Plastic adapter box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my kitchen, I currently have a single socket built in to the tiles above the worktop, which is used to power my washing machine (the socket is on the ring).

I've now got a (slimline) dishwasher (rearrangement of kitchen units has freed up space for it) - at the moment I just have both plugs appearing above the worktop, and will plug in one or the other (since they're both high power appliances, I don't want to use a multiway or whatever with it, since both on together will be over 13A).

I can think of two options, my first is to replace the single socket, with two single sockets, by carefully cutting along the tiles, then sinking one of the 2xsingle backboxes. This would work (I think there's enough on the cables to terminate one in each socket, and then a short bit between the two etc), but in an ideal world I don't want to have two flexs appearing above the worktop like that.

My second option, would be to put new sockets / cable outlets below the worktop. The problem though is getting power to them, I don't want to trash the tiles as the kitchen has only recently been done (by the previous owners) - I could use something like d-line trunking, the problem though is how to get the cables in to it. An ideal solution, would be if there was some way of bringing the accessories forward from the backbox, and dropping the trunking out from the bottom. Basically, what I want is some sort of 'spacer' box, i.e. effectively a thin surface mount box, but with no back, and just holes so i can use it with long 3.5mm screws to secure to the backbox. Does anybody know if such a thing exists (I could try and make one by drilling out the holes on a box, and cutting out the back, but I'm not sure how well this will work)?

Edit to add that this work has been notified to LABC (in a generic enough way that either solution would fit with the notice I sent etc)...

Sponsored Links
That would be perfect actually, I could then put a grid switch faceplate on, and create two FCUs out of it, and not have to touch the tiles at all. Small hole through the worktop, bit of trunking through it, silicon around it and then job done...

And looking at it, my local wholesalers even has them (just didn't know what i was searching for before) - cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back