Kitchen sockets - splitting 'em

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just some advice as to whether this is possible - if it sounds confusing please bear with me.

I have a double socket in my kitchen which spurs to another double socket further along the wall.

I want to change the first double socket into two single ones - one single below worktop height to plug my gas cooker into (has 3 pin plug just for ignition and clock on it) and one single above for everyday usage (kettle, blender etc). So to do this do I just have to get two single back boxes fitted with the spur running from the first one above the worksurface (am I right in thinking this would only require one cable to run through the second single socket for my cooker and onto the second double socket).

Am doing the prep myself so don't want to hack chunks out of wall without some advice!

Sponsored Links
Padfoot, ( :LOL: )

I'd leave the socket as a double, put a FCU next to it, extend the ring so the FCU is on it, feed the socket below the countertop from the FCU

Either leave the other socket as a spur, or incorporate it on the ring, actually it sounds like you might be re-fitting the kitchen? if so, then it might be nice to have the kitchen put on its own ring, the modern kitchen has high loads, etc

Socket below the countertop is fed from FCU because its nice to have an isolation point for it above the countertop :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back