38mm European waste pipe to 40mm UK compression waste fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the best way to ensure a watertight fit connecting a 38mm European / continental waste pipe to a 40mm UK compression waste fitting without using a 38mm to 40mm adaptor prior?
The reason not to use an adaptor is because there is no space.
Note, a 40mm compression fitting on a 38mm pipe will hold however the joint won't be as tight, both mechanically and water pressure. Hopefully there is a way to improve the seal.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A little self amalgamating or denso tape around the pipe to make it a little tighter, if you feel you need it.

Hello kidgreen61, Yes I've noticed a UK 40mm waste compression fitting will work on 38mm waste pipe however understand it puts stress on the plastic compression olive as the plastic nut needs to be overtightened, greater than the manufacturing designed spec. Also, I noticed when trying, it's easy to accidental pull out during installation as of course there's less friction between the compression olive and the pipe, also increasing the risk of leaks. It has been an issue where the joint can't be seen to check for leaks after installation.

Hello Madrab, By self amalgamating or denso tape, do you mean wrap either tape a few times around the waste pipe where the plastic compression olive is located to increase the thickness of the pipe by a few mm?

38mm - 40mm waste conversion fittings do exist however I don't have the space to install it.

Sponsored Links
Yes I've noticed a UK 40mm waste compression fitting will work on 38mm waste pipe

A good quality multiifit connector, such as McAlpine will be fine. They are designed to fit different diameter pipework including copper and lead.

wrap either tape a few times around the waste pipe
Yes, where the rubber seal will sit. Both tapes once attached to each other and the pipe are waterproof and will take up the couple of mm, if you feel you need it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back