Free standing bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I don’t really know anything about plumbing so not sure if anything I’m describing makes sense. I’ve just got a new freestanding bath delivered and it’s currently in the bathroom sitting on top of 2 planks of wood waiting to have the waste connected. I’ve got a 40mm compression elbow sticking out the floor for the waste. The bath is pre installed with a slim profile trap and flexi waste. Only problem is the end of this flexi waste is too small for the compression fitting and slips out. It claims to be a 40mm pipe but measure at around 38-39mm. I think it might be a European waste. Any idea how I connect the 2? The bath company are not helpful and suggest I use a hepvo valve which I bought but doesn’t seem to work at all and doesn’t connect between the 2. Completely lost. Is there a reducer or adapter so I can get a 40mm compression to work with a 38mm waste? I can send photos or details of the bath and waste if it helps. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
euro pipes are rubbish and designed usually for 40mm push fit fittings not compressions.
you can get a mcalpine 40mm flexi waste from toolstation or screwfix

Did you push the pipe into the compression elbow? You may have dislodged the rubber ring seal, unless of course you do need an adapter?

Sponsored Links
You have unscrewed the end of the compression fitting? Unscrew the nut off the fitting and remove the compression ring and rubber seal. Fit the nut, ring and seal onto the flexi pipe and then fit it into the end of the pipe into the fitting and then tighten up.

If it still doesn't fit the can you post a couple of pics with the end of the flexi with the nut, ring and rubber seal from the compression fitting on it.

039CEA79-07CA-44AA-9BAB-214BA05B2D63.jpeg
3EE23893-AFD2-444F-AF08-8C0BA2005B78.jpeg
7601DA46-A8E9-4747-9CC2-88B3EF35B1E6.jpeg
Thank you everyone for help. Flexi Waste is definitely too small for a 40mm compression, the rubber ring is loose when I put it on so won’t make a good seal. I’ve added photos. Also photos of the trap/ waste that came with the bath which I think it quite smart so would like to keep it if possible. I think the reducer dilalio has suggested would work. I take a Uk 40mm pipe from my compression elbow sticking out the floor and put that reducer on the end and connect to the grey flexi waste trap. Would that work?

I would get rid of that FloPlast elbow and go and get a McAlpine 40mm compression elbow and try that, it has a centre piece that slips inside the pipe and traps the seal in between both the surfaces and would probably grab that quite happily.

Would be easy for me to check though as I have them to hand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back