>3m Armoured cable connection to meterbox in external kio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Self build project nearing completion. First fix electrics was completed by an electrician who is no longer available. I have had quotes from two different electricians to do the second fix which includes connecting consumer unit in garage to meter box in kiosk outside over 3m away. Armoured cable in place ready for connection, but the quotes are based on completely different advice as to how they will connect up the meter box. Both advise a fused isolator in the box, but one insiists on putting this in yet another box inside the meter box with termination of the shielding at both ends. The other advises me that this is not neccessary where one of the 3 cores is used as the earth. A bit stumped who to pick by this conflicting advice. I don't need details, just enough to give me confidence I have the right guy.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm not clear on what relevance the enclosure within the meter enclosure has. The switchfuse will be in its own enclosure, so why another one?

As for the armour, of course that must be earthed, and if one of the electricians says otherwise then don't use him.

No I didn't understand that either. The justification I got was to protect it from moisture (inside the meter box?) and the risk of that entering the fuse unit where the cables go in and out. Also to provide a housing to terminate the shielding to, which I guess is then connected to the earth unit provided by the electric company. He seemed to suggest that the cable still needed to be armoured once it had entered the meter box. This seemed a little strange as the electric companies cabling is unarmoured within the box. Anyway, if the shielding needs earthing regardless of the seperate earth within, it sounds like I have my man.

Many Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back