Armoured Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing some garden lights but would appreciate some advice on how to work with the armoured cable. In particular the best method for cutting and connecting to glands. Any advice warmly welcomed. I am using Pratley junction boxes with the glands included.

Sponsored Links
Fitting glands to armoured cables are not always the easiest thing in the world. There are different types and some are 'universal and will fit various sizes of cables.

One thing I would suggest is to ensure the shroud and bottom 1/2 of the gland is on the cable before you strip back the insulation and cut the wire armour. if not it can be awkward to get the gland over the cut strands of armour, try and be as straight as possible with the cut ... it makes it a bit easier to go over the cone of the gland evenly.

Remember to have a good earth connection if you are using 2-core (even with 3-core I still connect the armour to the earth connection) Never heard of Pratley junction boxes, I assume they are plastic / PVC for a water tight seal

I'm actually going to be doing the same job this weekend for someone ..........

How do you cut the armour? I've heard of using a pipe cutter but not had much success with this method.

Many thanks

I use a junior hacksaw ... if you take your time it's not too bad.

There is quite a heavy protective rubber sheath around the conductor cables (between the armour and the conductors) so you would have to be really unlucky to cut thro' that and into the insulation of the conductors

After cutting the armour strands bare the outer insulation back to allow the armour strands to fit over the cone of the gland (too little insulation off makes it a bit difficult for a good fit of the gland-- don't worry too much about the lenths of strands showing ... the shroud will cover them)

As I said before... if the cut is fairley straight then there should be no problems

Sponsored Links
i would recomend you get an electrican in to do it for you, as cutting the wire armour is an "art" (that is not cutting all the way through it)

If you do cut all the way through you can cut one of the inner cores, this can work out expensive as you should really cut the end off and start again.

I actually was taught to do i slightly differently (each to their own i suppose) , but the result is the same.

For a straight cut I wrap masking tape round and follow the line, this is for swa or plastic pipe work.

I have found quite a successful matter (having fitted cable in and out to 8 junction boxes!) I used the pipe cutter to cut about 3" of outer plastic sheath. This gives a nice straight edge. I then wiggled this amount of sheath just along enough to get the junior hacksaw blade in the cut into the steal armour. Not all the way through but far enough to allow the steel to be bent cleanly at the cut. Then remove the waste sheath and break off the steal armour. Then cut about another 1/2 = 1" of sheath off with the pipe cutter and attach to the gland. After a few goes it provides a nice neat job and no expensive sparky required! Jobs a 'gooden!

thanks for all the suggestions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back