4 " EXTRACTOR FAN SUCKS....LITERALLY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last month i fitted 2 4" extractor fans ( one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom ) we bought an ex council house about a year ago which didnt have any extractors so i finally got round to it .

Anyway im finding these fans are rubbish , condensation is still building up in the kitchen and bathroom . Dont ge me wrong they are extracting but not at the rate i want them too....( i want blood sucked out of peoples faces extraction if you know what i mean lol )

Can anyone link me to the powerfullest 4" i can buy as everythings done i can just buy 2 more and fit them.....help please as its like a foggy morning in the house ...

Cheers all...Happy new year as well

Sponsored Links
If you suck air out of a room then there has to be a way to replace that air from inside the house.

Vent axia ACM100 (T for timer).

Centrifugal. Look at the air extraction figures and tell me you can find a better 4" fan ;)

They have been on SF cheaply recently, but are now withdrawn due to imment price increase.....SF printed incorrectly I believe.

They aint cheap ;)

Got one from the wholesaler today for £60 cash.........we usually pay £80 for a standard and £100 for a timed.

bernard lol.....i just want a more powerfull extractor mate ..not a vacuum creating monster...I was looking for a little bit of expert advice on which one to buy not some back @rse comment .

Cheers Lectrician that looks like a cracker..thanks for the info.

Sponsored Links
Sorry but it was meant as a helpful comment based on experience.

When the door was shut the fan moved hardly any air. Door open and the increase air flow was obvious.

Louvred panel fitted into lower part of door and room cleared much quicker. Still had a condensation problem but very much reduced.

I agree with Bernard - unless the ventilation is adequate, an extractor fan won't extract anything. After the air pressure in the room has dropped it will just whirl around with the airflow across the fan blades stalled.

A more powerful fan may just create uncomfortable drafts through whatever gaps air can get into the room without any significant increase in air change rates.

For fans, Bernard is spot on, however, from your original post, I guess that your real problem is condensation. Condensation is a serious problem and can be difficult to solve. Simply moving air through the room will not automatically prevent condensation. It can make it worse as the air takes the shortest route inlet to fan and there can be cooling due to the ventilation. One answer is to use a fan, but not to extract the air - to push it in. Air is blown from the roofspace with a very quiet, slow fan and escapes through normal openings. This works quite well and may be a cheap(er) solution than any other. In short, don't try to fit bigger and bigger fans. Stop and work out what is going on. There are a number of websites and you might find that your local council is helpful - what did they try on these houses and what was successful.
Best of luck
V

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back