4 showers - what size cold water tank(s)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have 2 50gallon cold water tanks in the loft, each feeding 2 showers. I am going to upgrade the showers to be pumped as the pressure is a bit weedy and the showers rather feeble.

I have been told that I ought to allow 50 gal per shower so should I have 200gal in the loft? Seems like quite a lot of water! And quite a lot of weight too.

Sponsored Links
what is your mains pressure like? Have you considered and unvented cylinder?

unvented cylinders deliver mains pressure hot water and require no tanks in loft; you could even put the cylinder in the loft if you wish.

mains pressure is low - around 1 bar first thing in the morning but then drops when the rest of the town wakes up. I'm at the top of a hill with a 3 storey house & the loft room has one of the showers.

I already have 2 electric showers running off mains water but they sometimes don't work when the pressure is too low.

Hence I was thinking of adding a pump and feeding these from a tank. The Stuart Turner Universal 3.5bar pump will work as I've spoken to them about this. It handles negative head as well.

I've not heard of unvented systems.

I have been told that I ought to allow 50 gal per shower so should I have 200gal in the loft?

no, the tanks in the loft will refil as you are drawing water, so what you have will probably be sufficient. I think the advice you were given was in refference to your hot water cylinder not your storage tanks. You don't say how big the cylinder is, this is most important.

Sponsored Links
100 gallons in the loft and a 200 litre cylinder should do the trick, might be worth getting a twin coil cylinder so you can add solar at a later date. . .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back