4 x 2 inch battens and hammer fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What length hammer fixings should I use to attach a 4 x 2 batten to a party single brick wall? Is 140mm sufficient.

many thanks

Sponsored Links
wood 51mm brick 102mm plaster 6mm =160mm
140 plus 5-8mm clearance is a bit tight

Hammer fixings are waz.

Use a 100mm, ≠6 screw with brown plugs and a 7mm bit.

Noseall have you not used them Raiperstar fixings as you can just drill straight through the timber into the wall with 6mm sds then fixing job done solid.

Sponsored Links
Noseall have you not used them Raiperstar fixings as you can just drill straight through the timber into the wall with 6mm sds then fixing job done solid.
If they are similar to concrete screws with a torx head, then yes i have.

The only problem i have with them is they are fully threaded.

What this means is that they won't pull the host material tight against the wall if the host material has an initial gap as the thread won't allow it. Unless of course you pre-drill the host material so that the thread does not catch on the host.

Window fixers love them for this very reason. They can place packers, fix with concrete screws then remove the packers because the thread of the screw is now holding the window complete with gap.

Should the screw be longer than 100mm?
the timber thickness is 100mm already.
It may have been wise to have stated that you are fixing the timber through the 100mm as opposed to what everyone else was thinking ,i.e. through through the 50mm.

Why are you fixing it this way?

I'd use 150 x 8mm thunder bolts with the hole for the head forstnered out. One every 1.2m or so.

Should the screw be longer than 100mm?
the timber thickness is 100mm already.
It may have been wise to have stated that you are fixing the timber through the 100mm as opposed to what everyone else was thinking ,i.e. through through the 50mm.

Why are you fixing it this way?

putting up 100mm thick acousti insulation and covering with double plasterboard.

Yes do the hole prepping first.
Drill a 25mm hole with flat wood bit or a forstner about 12mm deep followed by a 10mm hole.
Then 8mm for the thunder bolt. Piece if cake.
Easily adjusted back too if you need packers.
Try and get flanged head thunderbolts. If not just use washers.

Yes do the hole prepping first.
Drill a 25mm hole with flat wood bit or a forstner about 12mm deep followed by a 10mm hole.
Then 8mm for the thunder bolt. Piece if cake.
Easily adjusted back too if you need packers.
Try and get flanged head thunderbolts. If not just use washers.

how come the hole in wood is 10mm rather than 8?
Also do you just use a spanner to screw the bolt in?
thanks

The spirals on the fixing will be 10mm or there abouts. A socket will be best for tightning.
Drill 11mm if you find it binding on the wood.

The spirals on the fixing will be 10mm or there abouts. A socket will be best for tightning.
Drill 11mm if you find it binding on the wood.

thanks. one last question, are thunderbolts the same thing as coach screws? I can't find the thunderbolts on the screwfix site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back