40 amp fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in need of a new built in single oven. The current oven I have is hardwired to the mains with a 40amp fuse at the box. However, the oven I want to replace with BOSCHHBA63R252B requires a 13 amp hardwire, (as are most of the others I have found). Is it just a case of replacing the fuse in the box or would this mean a total rewire from the oven back to the fuse box?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Sponsored Links
As it is 13A, it should come with a plug.

If not, as the details do state, then you could fit one and fit a socket instead of the wall connector.

I had paid for it to be installed but the guy this morning said he couldn't fit because it's a 40 amp fuse at the box and the oven needed 13 amp. My solutions were either choose another oven or have the fuse converted. Since almost all the ovens are 13amp, some with and some without plugs. I was trying to work out if I'd be better to change the fuse in the long run, a sort of future proof it.

If they are rewirable fuses,

you could change the fuse to a 15A one - no 13A fuse wire - or just replace the fuse wire in the 40A holder to 15A.

If you do this, it would be advisable to leave a note nearby.

It might be alright just to connect the oven to the existing wall plate but I would advise having an electrician test the circuit to verify this.

Sponsored Links
There are 40A ones.

Some boards should not have higher than 30A - but it wouldn't matter with an oven.

The 'classic Wylex fuse box' would have cartridge fuses for 40 and 45 amp.

Wouldn't the best solution be to fit a socket onto the end of the cooker circuit?

Assuming the cable is 6mm2 or greater.

Hopefully you have a cable outlet behind the oven, which would be a straight swap for a single socket.

Photos would be helpful, though not essential.

The current oven I have is hardwired to the mains with a 40amp fuse at the box.

I have a feeling this will be a cooker, not an oven

the cables will be very big and stiff.

Presumably there is an outlet on the wall similar to this
AA45COP.JPG

Is there any reason not to put a surface socket box adjacent to it? Wired to the terminals in the cooker outlet block.

Then the cooker outlet is ready for next time an electric hob or cooker is installed.

Your installer was just looking for an excuse to finish his rounds quickly. Argos by any chance?

Its a single oven, not a cooker
The info says

Screenshot 2017-08-08 10.16.24.png

So, @Angela Robertson , the best option is to change the wall outlet to a standard single 13A socket, and connect up a cable with a 13A plug on it.

Other options are available, but will involve work in your fusebox, and you really don't want to do that.

re
Since almost all the ovens are 13amp, some with and some without plugs. I was trying to work out if I'd be better to change the fuse in the long run, a sort of future proof it.

The opposite is the case! Many ovens (such as those made for a general European market) are rated at more than 13amp. So a UK plug doesn't work.
Also I see many folk wanting to have a single oven PLUS something like an induction hob. Your wiring, as it stands, would support such a future requirement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back