40kg on a shelf?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ya

I have a free standing book case from IKEA which is made from hard wood. I would like to put a fish tank on one of the shelves which I plan to bracket to a wall (retaining wall). The tank is 34 litres and will probably equate to 40 kg fully filled with all the bits. The tank is 38 W x 25 D x 46 H cm.

I have found some brackets that will support up to 200kg, but a friend of mine has advised me that 40 kg is too much for a shelf.

Anybody else have any thoughts? Maybe recommend some brackets and fittings?

Ta...

JR
;)

Sponsored Links
How thick is the shelf, what type of hardwood is it? I thought all ikea suff was pine.

Sorry, you're correct it is pine ... it's this fella here:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20033863

The shelves are held in place using 4 dowels per shelf which are also screwed into a back-plate that also has 4 dowels ... except for the bottom, top and 3 shelf (from the bottom) which includes 4 of those fixing pins that IKEA use.

I have removed the second shelf and dropped the third shelf 16cm (66cm from floor) as the tank is too tall. This is the shelf I plan to place the brackets under. I have also bought two 30cm triangular brackets that claim to support 200 kg. However, I think I may have purchased the wrong screws and plugs as these are labelled 'Hammer Fixers - 8mm drill bit - 60mm'?

I'm not sure how thick the shelf is but from memory I would say 15mm.

Thanks...

JR
;)

A full shelf of books weighs about 40 kilos so I think it should be OK.
Remember the weight is spread over the length so it's not just the bend in the middle that takes the weight.
To be on the safe side you could place a divider in the shelf below that would support the shelf with the tank on it right in the middle at its most vulnerable point (maximum bending moment).

Sponsored Links
i personaly would have said 40kg was pushing it a bit even though the blurb says 35 evenly spread

if you can introduce 2 brackets under the shelve near the end of the tank then perfect
otherwise i would want to see the front edge supported as well

Thanks for all your comments, I've changed the screws and plugs for size 10mm anchor sleeves ... that shelf ain't goin no where!

I'll let you know if I now whether I end with fish supper!

Thanks again...

JR

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back