5" flue liner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,
i am installing a 5" flue liner into a class 1 chimney, is there any reason why i cannot seal the base of the liner in the fireplace opening using plasterboard and dot n dab adhesive .

thanks

Sponsored Links
Plasterboard is not fireproof material.SO NO U CANT.Go to B&Q and get some asbestolux board.U should also use high illumini cement.

fitz1 have you ever tried to burn plasterboard it is fireproof it can with stand a Rothenberger Surefire 2 s heat, i ve used plasterboard when my heat mat has yet again blown through

Sponsored Links
i have asked corgi inspector if plasterboard is allowed he said he doesnt see any problem with using it.

thanks

Boils down to whether or not it say "Fireproof" anywhere. Non flammable probably, so plasterboard OK.

chris r in your opinion would you use drywall adheisive to seal base of flue liner or high illumini cement .

thanks again

you dont seal a flue with plasterboard
and the obvious comes to mind
one good nad
and it is obiously stopping your eyes banging together

Plasterboard manufacturer will not guarantee plasterboard for such use , therefore it cant be used for the said job.Also wot is the name of the corgi inspector that u asked ?

Kev- who says? It doesn't matter how loud you shout! The BS I have says "sealing plate or other suitable means".
And what is a "nad"?

Fitz c'mon- "Plasterboard manufacturer will not guarantee plasterboard for such use , therefore it cant be used for the said job"
When you buy a screw does it come with a gaurantee that it'll hold a boiler on the wall??
It's up to the installer to decide if the products methods and materials he uses are suitable.

Almost ALL the back boilers I come across have NO seal at the bottom of the liner. WHen they were installed the direction to supply a particular seal wasn't as strong as it is now. Whether they're individually AR or NCS is moot.

Think about what the seal ( aka the "third" seal) has to do. Not much beyond stopping a draught IF there's a hole further up.

Anybody got a reason why you can't use plasterboard and expanding foam (firestop one of course) :?:

Not an expert on this subject and was trying to find some reference to sealing plates.

One page from the corgy mag, suggested you could use slag wool held up with wire netting, and it does seem the only reason for the plate is to stop debris falling down the chimney and blocking/damaging bits that are best not fo be.

There was a mention of a steel register plate but no real must be answer.

To add to the confusion it would seem that different types require different standards, perhaps I will ask in the office if their still talking to me. :LOL: :LOL:

I thought the whole point of the 3rd seal was to keep the fibre wool in place. Would imagine though that due to it being in contact with a single wall (flexible) liner, that it must be fire resistant.

ChrisR , the screws for fixing boilers come with the boilers along with M/I which also states which screw to use.olski made a good example in his post.Do we do it by the book or not. PLASTERBOARD IS NOT FIREPROOF.

fitz1 said:
ChrisR , the screws for fixing boilers come with the boilers along with M/I which also states which screw to use.olski made a good example in his post.Do we do it by the book or not. PLASTERBOARD IS NOT FIREPROOF.

Its also not waterproof an important consideration I would have thought.

Another point I just thought off, doing well today that the second one :LOL: :LOL:

When a flue passes through a ceiling (plasterboard) there has to be an 50mm air gap :rolleyes: :rolleyes: or is it 25mm ;)

Fitz

So you would use the screws in the boiler box for every imaginable wall? Of course not. MI's do not state which screw to use - they use words like "appropriate". What boiler have you installed which gives a list of every type of wall with the specification of each fixing prescribed?

Do it by the book by all means. Do tell us what your book is and what it says - we're all waiting. My British Standard says "suitable".

I've only ever used aluminium, on brackets but I'd use foam next time. Two sheets overlapping in the middle & pop riveted.

Oilski I've never seen anything which actually says use fibre wool though I know it was suggested widely. I don't think there's an insulation requirement. The ACS centre I went to 6 years ago was saying use mineral wool, through lack of alternative I think! I don't have a copy of the 2000 BS - might be in there.

"When a flue passes through a ceiling (plasterboard) there has to be an 50mm air gap or is it 25mm "
25mm to combustible/flammable (or similar word) material is the only one I remember. The cardboard bit of the pboard would count as such - scrape it away!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back