50mm a few pennies or a lot of pounds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to interpret the 17th edition big red book in so far as it relates to the requirement that cable should be buried below 50mm or 'death will become ye all' - possibly literally and probably via litigation if you don't.

Most modern houses have stud wall partitions sometimes measuring less than 100mm. Since the above requirement applies to both sides of the partition a simple and inexpensive ring main spur suddenly becomes very expensive, when you add the SWA or other forms of mechanical protection to the cable never mind the possibility of a new RCD loaded Consumer Unit.

My view is that because I have added to the circuit, I take responsibility for that circuit - certainly I will test it as per requirements. The problem is that I know full well that even if I did manage to bury the cable beyond the 50mm requirement the rest of the circuit would in all likelihood not meet these requirements - which as the book says does not necessarily mean that they are unsafe for continued use or require upgrading.

In a past life I have had some small involvement in the development of Government legislation and in particular the guidance notes that covered that legislation. Whenever anomalies cropped up in those guidance notes the common response from the civil servants involved in its drafting was to 'let the courts decide'. I do fear that the 50mm anomaly will be another one of these and some poor spark will be sitting there while the courts decide.

I would welcome any advise how others manage this situation.

Sponsored Links
Not exactly a problem. We have all managed for the last 13 months, since the regs became current.

There are lots of ways to ensure compliance with the regs, including RCDs, steel containment, SWA, MICC, ali-tube cable, etc, etc.

Do a search. It has been covered umpteen times in the last 18 months.

In a past life I have had some small involvement in the development of Government legislation and in particular the guidance notes that covered that legislation

But the red book is not government legislation. Its not even a statutory document.

HOWEVER

All domestic electrical work comes under Building Regulations Part P and that is law.

At this point I am sure that someone will remind us that Part P refers to the old (16th edition) regs.... :mad:

As already said using Ali-tube cable the work has hardly changed. If you are adding a socket you still need RCD but with ali-tube this can be built into socket.

Where there is a problem is that it does not say low voltage. So if following to the letter then telephone, Lan cables, door bells all should be protected which is rather silly and I think most people ignore the 50mm rule when working with SELV cables.

Sponsored Links
Where there is a problem is that it does not say low voltage. So if following to the letter then telephone, Lan cables, door bells all should be protected which is rather silly and I think most people ignore the 50mm rule when working with SELV cables.
Don't forget earthing and bonding cables :LOL:

Yes Spark123 I have wondered how an RCD can protect an earth cable.
Quite obviously there are some errors with the 50mm rules and I am sure until it is corrected electricians can use some common sense.

If you are adding a socket you still need RCD but with ali-tube this can be built into socket.

Not if it's for a dedicated piece of equipment and is clearly labelled as such.

Agreed what I am trying to say the 50mm rule does not really cause any problems except where it is obvious it should have never applied to the type of cables in the first place like earth, and SELV cables. And only if one is rather pedantic does it cause a problem.

Agreed what I am trying to say the 50mm rule does not really cause any problems except where it is obvious it should have never applied to the type of cables in the first place like earth, and SELV cables. And only if one is rather pedantic does it cause a problem.

Very true. Common sense should prevail here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back