6Amp mcb tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having resonantly moved and changed an old fused CU to a new split load one. I am experiencing the mcb tripping on the current surge when a bulb blows.
Is this standard behavure cased by faster tripping of the mcb compared to slow fuse blowing.
At that the time of instalation there where no detectable faults on the circutes.
If this is the case are there any modles avalible that requier a slitly longer short time to triger the trip.

Dave

Sponsored Links
This can happen.

Check your lamps are rated at 240, not 230, and buy a good brand, like Osram or GE.

Dave12345 said:
Is this standard behavure cased by faster tripping of the mcb compared to slow fuse blowing.
Yup - very common indeed.

If this is the case are there any modles avalible that requier a slitly longer short time to triger the trip.
Three standard remedies (four if you include Securespark's)

1) Replace the breaker with a 10A.

2) Replace the breaker with a 6A Type C

3) Go back to fuses for the lighting circuits - either use fuse carriers in the CU if they are available for yours, or run a short piece of 2.5mm cable on a 20A breaker to FCU(s) next to the CU, with 5A fuses in them.

Thanks
Most bulbs are the cheap supermarket home brand.
Will try changing to a type C breaker.

Dave

Sponsored Links
I agree.

They(quality bulbs) tend to last a bit longer, and give a more constant light output. I find a lot of the cheap ones do seem to blacken quite a bit.

I also use energy saving lamps where I can. They save quite a bit on the bills (more than you save on buying cheap bulbs), and last for ages, if you don't use them yet, I reccomend you try putting one in to see what you think at least. They don't trip MCBs like incandescents either.

But as regards normal, incandescent bulbs, I find that General Electric bulbs tend to last longest myself, and I have not encountered one tripping the MCB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back