Blowing bulbs and MCB's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 4 separate lighting circuits on my CU (MCB's in non RCD side of split CU) and every time a tungsten filament or mains halogen goes it instantaneously trips the relevant MCB everytime without exception. I have changed a few bulbs for 20x CFL, but these haven't blown yet so not sure what will happen when they do. (BTW bulbs don't blow frequently - they last their stated hours)

MCB's are 6amp type B.

I know that starting currents are quite high for a split second until filament has heated up and this is why bulbs blow when turning on lights (usually), but for a MCB to trip this must really be some overcurrent to 'instantaneously' trip the MCB.

I ask this as I was last night plunged into darkness during a nappy change at great inconvenience (this was my baby's nappy, not mine!!)

Can anything be done stop this happening and circuits being so sensitive?

Sponsored Links
A type B MCB will open at 3-5 x its rated current within 0.1s. This means as little as 18A is required for a short duration to trip a 6A MCB.
Using CFLs is as good a solution as any, they don't fail the same way as a filament lamp does.

IMO CFLs are the best solution. there are other ways but they are more costly and require professional work.

Some people say that better-quality light bubs don't have this problem. Osram is often mentioned.

In my house, the kitchen spots trip the MCB every time; nothing else does. It might be relevant that the circuit length to the kitchen is much shorter than the other circuits.

Some people say that better-quality light bubs don't have this problem. Osram is often mentioned.
Dunno about Osram, but I've tried other quality lamps with built-in Ballotini fuses and IME it makes b****r all difference.

3 non-CFL solutions (some of which require a bit of investigative work on the circuits first):

1) replace the B6 with a C6.

2) replace the B6 with a B10.

3) replace the B6 with a B20 or 25 with 2.5mm² cable from there to an FCU next to the CU with a 5A fuse in it, and the existing lighting circuit supplied from that.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back