8° Roof Pitch - Can I tile?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all.

I've just having a new workshop/shed built which has an 8° mono-pitch roof. Originally, I was going to have a Grass roof system, but have costed that out of the project, so I'm currently looking at Rubber.

My question... is there any way I can tile an 8° roof? I understand that low pitch tiles alone generally need 12.5° or more, but I was thinking along the lines of weatherproofing the roof, then fitting tiles, for no other reason than aesthetics (basically a secondary roof, that won't matter if it leaks); I'm thinking that I'd rather see tiles on there that a vast expanse of bare rubber!

I have searched the forums, but can't find anything that fits my question.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Have a look for Corotile lightweight metal roofing. May be an answer.

Have a look for Corotile lightweight metal roofing. May be an answer.

Cheers for that Nige, I'd never heard of it. Looks like the minimum advised pitch for the roof is 10° which is a bummer, but metal sheeting could still be an option if I could do the lot in a single run.

If you build it and cover it as a flat roof albeit on a slight pitch, you can then counter batten and batten it and tile it with whatever tiles you like.

Sponsored Links
If you build it and cover it as a flat roof albeit on a slight pitch, you can then counter batten and batten it and tile it with whatever tiles you like.

Cheers Woody, I think that's where my head was originally, but I was questioning myself regarding putting battens onto a rubber roof... I presumed the rubber would be punctured and there goes the seal?! I guess the other option, away from tiles, would be a retrofitted green roof, but that's another conversation entirely!

The other worry about counter battening a flat roof would be whether it would have sufficient fall to drain and dry out around the counter battens. I've seen systems where you can basically put a patio supported off a flat roof, but the covering is designed for that and it wouldn't puncture the waterproof layer. However roof terrace loads are much higher than tiles.

Bitumen felt will self seal, and I suspect that rubber would too. You could use a bead of silicone under the batten first, but I suspect that its not actually an issue as the tiles keep most of the watre out and any that might get through is not in the quantity or under the pressure that it would need to be.

We've never had an issue with bitumen felt. And as the felt cover is sheltered from UV by the tiles, it will last the life of the tiles.

Yes the main thing I like is the fact that the tiles would protect the roof from the direct weather, so if it's a good idea I will consider this in future for our garage.
My other concern is it will look terrible! Look forward to the photos!

It looks like a tiled roof!
Personally I prefer old style steep pitch, even the modern standard pitch roof I'm not keen on the look! But I should have said that I'm only concerned about the look according to my preference!

I have never seen a flat pitched tiled or slated roof that looks good from ground level.

Thanks for all of the help with this guys. I talked things through with the builders yesterday, and we're going rubber on the roof; depending on funds at the end of the project, I'll most probably end up retrofitting a Sedum roof... so no tiles after all!

Shallow pitch tiled roofs look horrific. Anyone that thinks they look ok is architecturally challenged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back