8.5kW Shower, 10mm cable what MCB do I use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an 8.5kw Shower to install in my fathers flat.

The shower will be approx 5M cable length from the consumer unit, and will run virtually straight to it.
(Around the room then through the wall, consumer unit on other side of wall).

The consumer unit has an RCD already but i'm looking to find what sized MCB to use. I've been told 40 amp should do but i'd like a second opinion.

All help much appreciated.
Regards,
Roy

Sponsored Links
Roy

Are you aware that this work is notifiable to building control under Part P of the building regs.

Can you do this bit of arithmetic?

8500W / 240V = __._ A

If so, do you know what it means?

If not, then you shouldn't be doing you're about to do.

Sponsored Links
Not to mention those tiresome skin grafts every day...

Cheers for your help guys.
Ok simple math I see...

DESL : I was semi aware of the part p regulation, am I able to install the shower then get it check by an registered competent electrician prior to switching on?

700mb & Softus : Cheers, 40A.

Apologies, I don't mean to appear so dumb!

rafoord said:
I don't mean to appear so dumb!
You're allowed to be dumb, but you're not allowed to design and install a shower circuit without LABC notification.

am I able to install the shower then get it check by an registered competent electrician prior to switching on?

Unlikely as he/she will be signing an Electrical Installation Certificate for design, construction, inspection & testing of circuit

However you could do all the donkey work like the plumbing & first fixing the cable after consulting electrician he then inspects connects it and tests and also deals with LABC notification.

If you don't know of an electrician via friends etc try this website

http://www.competentperson.co.uk/search.asp

All advice noted, and appreciated...
Got a friend who's qualified electrician, i'll look up his number...
Cheers Guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back