8mm to 15mm towel radiator help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok, so working on the downstairs cloakroom turned into bit of a mare,
have 8mm microbore pipe for the central heating and need to convert to 15mm to fit a towel rad im planning to put up (or trying to!)

the problem is shown in the photos. i have brought some solder ring fittings with some reducers 8-15mm and some 15mm elbows but by the time i have put them in its going to be way too bulky and due to the direction of the current 8mm pipes going to protrude too much to box in

see the photos for the situation,
any suggestions on how i can do this easier,
are there some kind of flexible solution i can use, or even still an 8mm to 15mm elbow as the current direction of the pipes is gonna give me all kinds of problems

Sponsored Links
can you not just run it in 8mm and put a reducing olive in the rad valve?

Maybe I should but screwfix sell the 8mm Microbore in 25m lengths,
Is there anywhere I can buy some cheap, only need about 1m worth

try plumbers merchant. They will sell it in smaller lengths

Sponsored Links
Thanks will try to source some tomorrow,
Is it fairly easy to use? Ive just started soldering so it's a bit dodgy, would I be better off buying a few compression fittings?

Cheers

well you would have had to solder onto the 8mm anyway whatever you do, can be hard to make 8mm look neat is the only problem, especially on bends. Can go with compression but be very careful not to overtighten and squash the pipe.

Might risk solder joints, getting better all the time and practise makes perfect... I hope!

Maybe I should but screwfix sell the 8mm Microbore in 25m lengths,
Is there anywhere I can buy some cheap, only need about 1m worth

Dont you know any plumbers/heating engineers most have some in their garage or van that they would probably let you have a bit for all you need its not worth buying a coil

Sadly not and that's my dilemma,
Gonna try to buy some tomorrow hopefully an buy a place that sells by the metre, failing that I see fleabag sells it so will just have to wait for delivery I suppose

Been playing about with some ideas...
How about using a reducer straight into a 15mm street elbow? This would probably just be ok and then can continue with normal elbows until I get to the position I need

Anyone had much experience with these street elbows?

can you not just adjust the pipes to where you need them ? the rad valves you have on there already have 8mm reducers in the valves, you could just undo the bottom nut & the pipe will fit straight into the new valves using the old nuts

I'm not very experienced with this 8mm stuff. Is it a case of carefully bending by hand ? It seems pretty flexible.

I should of said the new towel rad is half the width of the old rad so also need the adjustment there

I take it you are aware that the towel radiator is highly unlikely to provide anything like sufficient heat for the room?

As for the pipework, have you lifted the floorboards to see if there is any sufficient slack or spare which might provide you with what you need to relocate the valves anyway?

In any case, if you are happy to use 15mm then why not do what you have to do above the boards with this, and use a reducer below the floor to join onto the 8mm?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back