8mm to 15mm towel radiator help

Yeah, aware the towel rad won't be too hot but it's only for a small cloakroom that always has its door closed so just for looks really.

Can't get floorboards up as its crappy chipboard that runs under walls, howevere I have got a bit of slack from the Microbore that runs along the wall into another room

In regards to the 15mm that was pretty much my original query as have to use a straight reducer, then 15mm elbow onto another 15 mm elbow to get an upright to the rad, all in all pretty bulky and hard to solder in the current position it's in

Tom gonna attempt it and just hope it dosent leak

Sponsored Links
Can't get floorboards up as its crappy chipboard that runs under walls, howevere I have got a bit of slack from the Microbore that runs along the wall into another room
Having gone to all this trouble, is it not worth the effort cutting some of the floorboard up so you can gain access and do a proper job with the pipes? All those visible bends and offcuts of 15 or 8mm will just make it look like a cowboy bodge IMO whereas a bit more subfloor work will stand a better chance of it looking like you've "had the man in"

In regards to the 15mm that was pretty much my original query as have to use a straight reducer, then 15mm elbow onto another 15 mm elbow to get an upright to the rad, all in all pretty bulky and hard to solder in the current position it's in
Hence why a pipe bender would do the trick, together with what I've written above. ;)

Tom gonna attempt it and just hope it dosent leak
If it does then you'll have all sorts of fun working in a confined space trying to put it right, especially with that lovely bit of plastic wastepipe all set up ready to melt :eek:

Plumb centre will get you a 3mtr coil in they stock it.
8MM is easily shaped just using finger pressure just dont do 90`s to tight

If it was me

I would bend the 8mm back into the wall and cut it straight.

Then solder a 8-15mm reducer into a 15mm connector

Then I could run the pipe up inside the wall and bring it out directly into some angled valves

But then again Im great :LOL:

Sponsored Links
If it was me, I'd be replacing all that 8mm with 15mm throughout the house!

Thanks for all the good advice. Admittedly whatever I do it's gonna look crap but then it dosent really matter as it's all getting boxed in.

I've traced the pipes and they go behind and horizontal along the plasterboard wall so my final plan is to chase it back and then attempt to bend it into position to allow the reducer to be soldered in a decent position.

Again, cheers for the advice

More like realist,
Unfortunately time and money are against me so I got some time tommorrow to make it happen hopefully to a half decent outcome,

I have to box in that ugly waste and water pipes anyway so it doesn't really matter what it looks like

Good luck with it then. 8mm pipe needs to be treated gently to avoid kinks. Also, after cutting (gently!), gently de-burr the cut end - you need to keep it as round as possible.

Clean surfaces well, use sufficient flux and wipe down the joint with a damp cloth after cooling! :)

Thanks, I'll try to get some photos up next week when it's (hopefully) all done!

Thanks, I'll try to get some photos up next week when it's (hopefully) all done!
Expect abuse from some pros ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Get it boxed in and stick some paint on it, then the same pros will be singing your praises :LOL: :LOL:

Been playing about with some ideas...
How about using a reducer straight into a 15mm street elbow? This would probably just be ok and then can continue with normal elbows until I get to the position I need

Anyone had much experience with these street elbows?

I totally agree with you
all you need is the 8mm pipe reducer where you can get it on ebay for fe quits or from here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back