9.5kw electric shower for 30mins - cost??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone let me know how much it costs to run an 9.5kw electric shower for 30mins? ;)

Sponsored Links
Cost is around 10p per kWh so 9.5kW for 1 hour would be £0.95, half hour would be around £0.47.
Adds up over the year.

Cheers, Gary Mo - trying to work out whether it would be more effective to install a 9.kw electric shower or to install a shower which runs off the hot water tank - any thoughts? 50p for 30mins electric shower seems an expensive option.

As an equivalent, gas would be cheaper to heat water than electricity.

Shower off a combi would be ideal, not so convinced if it's off a tank as I'd hate to run out of hot water half way through!

Sponsored Links
As well as the running cost, you'll have the run of 10mm cable, RCD&MCB in the consumer unit, earthing and certification & notification costs.

Never really saw the point of instant showers . Install a 3 bar pump if you've already got hot & cold water in the bathroom and the pressures too low.

I can see several big advantages to an electric shower

1: if you have a tank based hot water system you can use it even when the tank runs out. Not such an issue with a combi but living in a flat with a combi but combis have other problems.
2: you can use them even when the heating system is not working.

Dont know much about how they work
But I would have thought
Out of the 30 minutes , the heater may not always be on due to the stat,or may be running at less than full load.
This would lower the cost.

They run at full load all the time, temperature is controlled by the flow of water. The faster it flows over the heater the cooler the water is, slow the water down and the hotter it gets.
The only time you'll see less than full load is if you select position 1 instead of 2 (if your shower has the option) but you'll probably find you have to slow the water down that much to heat it that it ends up as merely a splash.

another advantage of showering from a cylinder is that it will eventually run out of hot water and the person will stop pouring money down the drain.

Fast recovery cylinders and big tanks in the loft, or a combi - five people living in a house with an electric shower led to some hideous leccy bills when we were house sharing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back