Electric shower trips MCB when not in use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Everyone. Hope you all had a good break.

The shower in question is quite old, but It has been trouble free for the last few years since I moved in. It is 9.5KW and the MCB is 40A.

The problem is the MCB trips when shower is NOT in use(e.g. overnight). Does anyone have any similar experience? What can I do to diagnose the problem/eliminate the cause? Thanks in advance.

Edit:

There is an isolator switch outside the bathroom. We normally leave it ON all the time.

Only the SHOWER MCB is tripped.

The shower still operates as normal, yesterday we ran it for 30mins and it was fine.

Sponsored Links
I'd start looking at the isolation switch and see what the connections are like in the first instance - if ok disconnect the shower completely and if it stops this is virtually proving the fault onto the shower unit.

You could look at the shower first to see if there's anything completely obvious that could cause it if it's easy to take the cover off?

Make sure the power is off.

Hmm, 41.3A at 230v, 39.6A at 240v (for the old school among us) so the mcb is running very close to its limit, perhaps once the thermal element cools down after a period of time the mechanism is operating somehow?

Which brand of MCB is it, just out of interest?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your replies.

There is an isolator switch outside the bathroom. We normally leave it ON all the time.

Only the SHOWER MCB is tripped. The make is PROTEK.

Thanks for all your replies.

Only the SHOWER MCB is tripped. The make is PROTEK.

I`ve had plenty of Problems with old Protek MCB`s tripping ,( Lighting & Socket Circuits) when carrying Tests all appear ok , I seem to think they tend to nuisance Trip as they get older

Lucky

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back