Shower trips MCB after a few minutes of use?!? Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently had a shower fitted 9.5kw I think in June/July 2004 but in the last few weeks it trips the MCB after about 10 mins use? I would have thought it would normally trip as soon as it was switched on.
Have checked the shower manual and the only possible problem is that it states the fuse (I assume thats the MCB) should be at least 40, however the one in my Electrical box which is tripping is 32. Could this be the cause of the problem and if so, I assume I can change the MCB to a 40 without any problems. If so could someone point me in the direction of how to go about this as having tried to remove the MCB I have found it to be quite difficult.
Apologies for this, I have never posted on a forum before!

Sponsored Links
mcbs trip fairly slowly on a small overload

call back the guy who fitted it it and afterwards get someone else to inspect it.

if he refuses or the inspection pulls anything up its time to call trading standards.

if the mcb is undersized the cable may be as well.

Unfortunately that guy who fitted it is no longer around, he has buggered off to Australia, but the cable seems to be ok as it is 10mm2 which according to the shower manual is OK.
Just appears to be the MCB which is under strength, the manual recommends a 40 or 45, although I cant find a 45 anywhere. Is changing the MCB a simple job??

Sponsored Links
U38966 said:
Unfortunately that guy who fitted it is no longer around, he has b*****r off to Australia, but the cable seems to be ok as it is 10mm2 which according to the shower manual is OK.
Just appears to be the MCB which is under strength, the manual recommends a 40 or 45, although I cant find a 45 anywhere. Is changing the MCB a simple job??
fairly simple. just take cover off, remoce cable, change breaker, connect cable etc etc. and wudnt changing an MCB be minor works?

it doesn't come under minor works, i think it said that the DIY is not allowed to interfer with the protective device for a circuit.

U38966 said:
the manual recommends a 40 or 45, although I cant find a 45 anywhere.
Maybe the make of CU that you have doesn't have a 45A option. Are you sure it's 10mm² cable?

Is changing the MCB a simple job??
Very simple - should only take a few minutes, but...

U38966 said:
having tried to remove the MCB I have found it to be quite difficult.
so maybe, for some reason, you don't find it simple. What problems did you have?

As for ChrisRogers comment - ignore him. It is not illegal for you to do this work, but you are supposed to notify your local Building Control department before you do the work, and agree a time for them to come and test and inspect it. Or you could argue that as the shower was installed last year, and the correct protective device was not fitted, that you are merely finishing installation work already started, so provided you do it before April 1st, you don't have to notify them.

I should point out that you ought to test the circuit to make sure that the earth-fault loop impedence is low enough to allow a 40A breaker to be used, but I doubt that you have the right test equipment to do that....

noone seems to have checked what the cable size is

when you hear about something like this you have to think have they F*cked this up in any other way as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back