9600 WATT shower - I want to have 2 fitted & advice need

- as I said, they get used only a small number of times per year (often at Christmas). Of course, the real killer for the stored hot water approach arises when (usually at Christmas :) ) one or two of those around decide to have (generously full) baths!

That reminds me of Christmases a few years ago, when my family all went "up North" to stay with the wife's sister.
She had an oil-fired Aga that did the cooking, and fuelled the CH and hot water.

Baths were forbidden on Christmas Day, otherwise the turkey was still raw at 5pm!

Sponsored Links
She had an oil-fired Aga that did the cooking, and fuelled the CH and hot water
The good old days . Modern youth have no idea of the luxurious life they have. One of my aunts had a wood fired Aga clone and my cousin's task was bringing fuel from the wood shed. The fire went out on Christmas Eve ( negligent wood fetching ) and Christmas dinner was on boxing day. They moved soon after that,

The good old days . Modern youth have no idea of the luxurious life they have.
Quite so. Right up until they died ~1990, one of my sets of grandparents were reliant for any 'running hot water' on a small coal-fired contraption. A bath required hours of notice, and even washing up needed at least an hour or two's, unless one boiled up some water on the gas stove - and if one wanted hot water in summer, one often had to strip off whilst it was being heated!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I remember age 3 or 4 sharing the bath with the washing. While the clothes horse on a block and tackle sat above the bath dripping the previous washing efforts.

That was 1963/4 :eek:

Anyone wash there hair with fairy liquid :LOL:

Had a word with the previous owner of my property and it seems that i have not got an Immersion in the loft as i was told previously, but just a hot water cylinder with a thermostat attached. No water is heated by the electric other than my kettle.

Many thanks for the posts here ... If i want to have 2 Electric Showers fitted in my property then that's up to me, also as for the 'MUST' contact the DNO - there does seem to be some opinion about this being the case.

...as for the 'MUST' contact the DNO - there does seem to be some opinion about this being the case.
I have little doubt that if you looked carefully enought at your electricity supplier's T&Cs and contracts, you'd probably find something mighty close to a 'must'. Whether a particular DNO would be interested, and/or would do anything about it, if you did contact them is, as we've heard, a different matter. Of course, they "don't know what they haven't been told" so, in practice, if you didn't contact them, the issue would probably only come to their attention if neighbours started complianing about 'dimming lights' or somesuch, or if you managed (pretty unlikely) to blow the DNOs fuse by having both showers (and a few other things) running simutaneously.

Kind Regards, John

or if you managed (pretty unlikely) to blow the DNOs fuse by having both showers (and a few other things) running simutaneously.

Well... I had a main cutout which, on enquiry, I was told was 100A. Recently, when the DNO came to change the backboard, they told me it was actually 60A. They changed it to 100A in exchange for a cup of tea.

My point is that that would make quite a difference to using 2 electric showers plus the odd other thing at once. You'd have to be pretty sure what you really had.

You would have to be barmy to fit two electric showers.

I have got one which is dreadful.
An electric shower is around 10,000w compared to a modern combi at around 30,000w.

Lets nail this down and get some idea of the boiler and existing hw function.

Could you post up the make and model of boiler, and the make and model of the tank in the loft.

When you run the hw only from a tap, and the run the cw does the pressure appear the same, or is the hw noticeably low pressure?
Still no answer.

Had a word with the previous owner of my property and it seems that i have not got an Immersion in the loft as i was told previously, but just a hot water cylinder with a thermostat attached.
Perhaps the system is faulty.

Many thanks for the posts here ... If i want to have 2 Electric Showers fitted in my property then that's up to me,
If you want to murder your wife I suppose that is up to you as well but it may cause problems so go ahead and do what you want.

also as for the 'MUST' contact the DNO - there does seem to be some opinion about this being the case.
There is no doubt about it being a must.
The doubt is about whether they will care if you do or make a fuss if you don't.

Why did you bother to ask?

If i want to have 2 Electric Showers fitted in my property then that's up to me
Then why the hell did you come on here and ask for advice ?
To be fair, I think that his statement was probably meant to be a summary of his understanding of the discussion/advice, not and indication that he didn't want advice.

Kind Regards, John

His understanding is deeply flawed, because he's only hearing the advice which fits the decision he's already made.

Logic says that an average combi ought to be able to supply 2 showers better than 2 electric ones, because the average combi is at least as powerful as, probably a fair bit more powerful than, 2 electrics. In the OP's case you'd have to have a combi with a DHW output of less than 19kW for it to be less capable.
That common argument would clearly be essentially true if one were comparing 'like with like', but I'm not sure that reflects how people behave in practice.

With an electric shower, the water flow rate is limited (often quite seriously) by the electrical heating power available - resulting in people often moaning that electric showers are not 'powerful enough'. This is, indeed, one of the 'cons' of electric showers which is often discussed.

Give the same user a combi-powered mixer shower, and they are very likely to turn the flow rate up to much higher than they could get from an electric shower [indeed, I think that people tend to turn the flow rate up to maximum]. It is therefore quite probable that, in practice, they would use a lot more (maybe double, or even more) heating power with a combi-fuelled shower than with an electric one.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back