9Kw Mira Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing my shower with a 9 KW Mira shower. The wiring that is in at present is 6mm2 cable coming from a separate fuse box ( I think its what you call RCD) which has a 35Amp fuse.This goes to a pull down switch in the bathroom ceiling then to the shower still with 6mm wire. Can I use the same set up (wiring) The installation manual keeps refering to BS7671 whatever that is ?

Sponsored Links
Your lack of knowledge is a little worrying, are you sure you really want to do this?

The 6mm2 cable will need replacing with 10mm2 and you will need a 40A MCB in the CU.

As the work is notifyable, get some help would be my advice ;)

MW

Good advice from megawatt - if you dont know what BS7671 is then you shouldnt even be contemplating this work - all legal issues aside.

To answer your question BS7671 is the British Standard entitled Requirements for Electrical Installations. The Institute of Electrical Engineers Wiring Regulations Sixteenth Edition. At the risk of offending non Christian or atheist electricians it is their bible containing all manner of regulations, tables and requirements. Yours for about £50 new and at over 300 pages long hardly an easy piece of bedtime reading - unless you have insomnia.

Sponsored Links

*thinks*

A piece of 30A fuse wire with a bit of 5A fuse wire twisted around it in a 15A BS3036 carrier (from the old water heater) :LOL:

... Probably

... Maybe

NO

The total surface area of the 5 A wire and the 30 A is greater than that of a 35 A wire so there is more cooling and the combination of 5+30 will create something like a 40 A fuse. ( from memory, the calculations are very complicated and assume both wires are the same type of metal )

Thanks for all the knowledgable information, I will take your advice and get a qualified electrician in. So much for DIY it never f@*!&* works. :confused:

NO

The total surface area of the 5 A wire and the 30 A is greater than that of a 35 A wire so there is more cooling and the combination of 5+30 will create something like a 40 A fuse. ( from memory, the calculations are very complicated and assume both wires are the same type of metal )

...whoosh :LOL:

Thanks for all the knowledgable information, I will take your advice and get a qualified electrician in. So much for DIY it never f@*!&* works. :confused:

Well yes, it does - if you know what you are doing. The problem with electrical DIY is that the consequences of getting it wrong can be lethal - to you, or your family, or whoever buys your house from you.

So, if someone comes along and displays some reasonable level of knowledge of the basic principles, regulations etc, they will generally get help with the detailed and more finicky aspects. But if someone comes along and demonstrates that they have no knowledge at all (which is fine - we can't all know about everything), then we will recommend the safe path of getting an electrician involved, for everyone's sake.

Wise move, and never a truer word spoken.
Also, you want an electrician who is registered with a suitable body to self certify work covered Part P, not just a "qualified electrician" subtle difference. often referred to as "Part P registered"

Depending on where the cable is routed, they may have to change this. A 9KW shower is about 39Amps. 6mm cable clipped to a surface is rated at 46A. However if it is running in conduit this reduces to 38A and if buried in the wall reduces to 32A

As previously mentioned, at the very least they will have to change the fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back