A BIG Thankyou !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just like to say a BIG thankyou to all the pro's that have posted here (especially the one's posting help for water getting hot and not heating).

Short story, all well at end of last winter, using water all through summer, all ok, fired up heating last weekend, naff-all, a few pipes getting hot, but no rads.

Did the usual, bleeding rads etc, no help, pump was a tad noisy so asked a mate who works ar G&D to get a new one (Grundfos 15-60) so I had it ready, swaped out last night, no better, reversed to help bleeding, no good, gave up and started reading the forum !

Got home tonight, removed pump agian, bucket under top gate valve, open valve and wait 2 mins for 1st drip ! - as supected (thanks forum) cold feed from header blocked (I might be a top class fine limits engineer but I would NEVER have sussed this)

Getting new gate valves tomorrow and going to replace cold feed, hopefully cure the problem (going to drain, add F5 flusher and run for a week using the old pump) then drain and flush clean, add F1 inhib, install new pump and hopefully sorted !

Once again

MANY THANKS to the pro's who take the time to help us diy'ers out !

Lez

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the postive response.
It can be disheartening giving out your best advice not to get any thanks or more annoyingly never knowing if we have had a good result

Mrgas

Hey, credit where credit is due (mind you I am 47 years old so come from an era where good manners were drummed into you !)

Quick update, went to local Plumb Centre for pump gate valves (the garage I run does their car servicing so thought I'd try my luck for some discount) - got 2 x 3mtr 15mm copper, 2 x pump gate valves, 2 x 15mm lockshields, 2 x 15mm comp straight con's, 1 x 3/8" auto air bleed (looked ropey so though better safe then sorry) for £18.00 so recon I made out like a bandit there.

Start the job, replace the clogged feed pipe (lockshields at either end in case it needs doing in the future) with zero issues, swap over of the pump gates and low & behold the new ones are 6mm shorter then the old ones - AGHHHHHHHHHHHHH !

Ended up cutting the return 22mm and taking 12mm out (added 22mm lockshield just in case !) then added 12mm to the overflow so that would connect again and had to remake the new cold feed as that was now 12mm short, bottom line is I can now replace any pipe in the airing cupboard without draining down as there are about 8473262572 lockshields !

Going to run the system for a week to stir as much sludge as poss, then add F5 flush for a week, then clean out and add F1 inhib, hopefully now sorted till the end of the month when I start on the bathroom/shower pump/suite etc.

Don't forget to get in the loft and clean out the f&e tank before filling the system.

Sponsored Links
Hi Gas4you

That was the 1st thing I did, baled it out to buckets and wiped clean with rags till it was spotless (I had replaced the ballcock & valve a year ago as that had a slight weep) - when I was baleing it out is when I noticed the top of the feed pipe was completely covered with sediment at the tank end confirming the forums diagnosis of no flow in the feed pipe.

Luckilly I have a very large tropical fish tank so had a really good pipe cleaner with a flexible metal rod, it was 2mtrs long so rammed that down from the tank end but alas the tank was 2.5mtrs from the blockage in the pipe hence all the replacment work.

Having woken up this morning to a lovely toasty home I really can not thank you guys enough (I REALLY mean that !)

Lez

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back