Cold rad.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I`ve just replaced a rad along with new therm valve and lockshield.
i`ve refilled the system and bleed all the rads but the new one just does not get hot, if i open the bleed valve the feed pipe starts to get hot, but the return stays cold, both valves are fully open. the rad is downstairs.
THANK YOU for any help given.

Sponsored Links
airlocked, turn the heating off and close the valve that starts to get warm when opening the bleed valve. If you have a drain off valve on both pipes open the one thats cold, otherwise put a bowl under the cold valve and undo it till the air blows through.

tried turning heating off, closing the hot end (when bleeding) and loosened the nut between the valve and tail at the cold end, did get some air out, but still the same.
i have a lockshield on the feed end and the therm on the return end, the them is classed as being able to go on the feed or return, could i have the therm on wrong?

THANK YOU

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the TRV is working properly? Is the pin moving freely? Just thought it worth making sure water is getting past the TRV into the rad.

Airlocks can be a real pain in the butt to shift, close the valve that gets hot. and open the opposite valve untill you get warm water coming though.

Turn the heating off first though as you will let more air in than out.

It will clear in the end but they can sometimes be a real pain

try turning off all other rads, with system set to ch only, and the new one will probably work. leave for 10 mins to make sure all air is out then turn others back on.

got it going, i turned all rads off other then the cold one and one upstairs, the rad became hot after a while. i kept bleeding the rad upstairs.

yep, i now know what you mean "airlock can be a pain!"

Thanks very much for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back