A Dryer venting dilemma: Please advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This must be a common challenge and yet I cannot find anywhere that addresses it.
A vented tumble dryer is to be fitted between two kitchen cabinets in a utility room. I can drill the vent pipe hole anywhere in the outside wall behind it.
Initial consideration suggests that it should go in line with the outlet of the machine. This would give a short and straight run which is most efficient. It also keeps it low, which I understand is desirable. (I would like to retain enough flexibility to maybe fit a different machine at a later date).
BUT.....
Obviously it will be necessary to connect the pipe before pushing the machine into the gap, and so a pipe arrangement that allows 800-900 mm of forward movement is required. But then the flexible pipe will get squashed up at the back of the machine and restict the flow. And I should think it will be most squashed if I should align the wall hole with the outlet as suggested earlier.
Can anybody suggest the best solution please? I want to get it right 1st time, rather than the usual "learnt from my mistakes," as it's a pain having to make-good, a 4" hole through double-leaf brickwork.
Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
does the dryer have a vent outlet at the back of the machine? Is it wide enough for excess hose to push up inside it? Some do.

What make is it? My new Bosch has alternative back and side positions, I have used the side position so the the machine can push back to the wall, and the hose goes sideways before going through the wall

Thanks for your reply John

I really like the idea of the duct being absorbed into the machine, I had concluded that was what is reqired but didn't know it was available. Mine doesn't have that feature unfortunately.

The current m/c, which is ancient, is like yours and has side and rear options at the Rear Left (when viewed from the front) but I cannot see how the side entry is helpful. Do you have a cabinet on the side where the outlet is and if so, does that mean the outlet pipe is on the floor under that cabinet. Where have you got the pipe passing through the wall then? And do you have to remove the kickboard of that cabinet to slide the m/c into place?

the cabinet beside it is on legs so there is room for the hose. In my case the duct through the wall is in the corner of the room so there is no unit in the way.

Sponsored Links
I'm going to have the same problem, and what I planned on doing was making the hole as in-line as possible with the outlet on the back of the dryer. Fasten a long length of flexible ducting to the back and feed it through the hole in the wall. As the tumble dryer is put back into position, feed the excess flexible duct through the hole in the wall. Once the dryer is fully back, trim off the excess duct from outside, attach to the cover plate, fix cover plate to wall. Job done with minimum duct length.

Of course, if you ever have to take the dryer out, you'd have to re-do the duct.

that's a good idea

the hose is compressible, so you can probably push the excess back into the wall, working from the oyside before you fix the cowl.

in my case I have fitted a 110mm plastic duct into the wall to line the cavity, so the hose wouldn't fit.

I like your thinking Pistol1.
One would need to sleeve the hole through the wall, as JohnD has done, sealed with gap filler or mastic between the outer surface of the sleeve and the internal leaf, otherwise there will be a draught from the cavity.
This sleeve would need to be just big enough diameter to allow the flexiduct to pass through. There also needs to be an effective seal, made from the outside, between the flexiduct and the internal bore of the sleeve.
Unless going for a new machine that allows the pipe to go inside it, I think that this may be the only solution.
I was thinking of trying to use a rigid pipe to pass through the sleeve, cutting off the excess but retaining this to use as a guide for next time I wanted to reinstall the tumble dryer. I could just duct-tape it together temporarily. I think it would be easier to get a seal between the sleeve and the rigid pipe, possibly using self adhesive draught excluder, and the flow would be better through a smooth bore.
Thanks for your suggestions. All power to DIYnot users.

I solved this same problem by sliding a broom handle in through the outside duct. This held the hose up and in line with the dryer while I slid the dryer upto the wall. Finally I removed the broom and put my arm through to check the position and it was just right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back