A Good Hand Saw Needed!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I don’t know if anyone can help? I am trying to source a reliable handsaw!
I have been using cheap saws up until now but I’m fed up with the teeth going blunt pretty fast and the handles not being very comfortable.

I use my saw on a daily basis for my job so I’d be happy to spend some money on getting the right tool.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tommo

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Cant help with the handsaw, but have you not considered a decent electric or cordless ?

Cant help with the handsaw, but have you not considered a decent electric or cordless ?

I was thinking the same thing so you beat me to it eggplant ;).

Then again, maybe it's a saw used for gardening; cutting down branches?

Well anyway, to answer your question Tommo 2, I don't really know of any good brands, but I'm pretty certain you'll get a gooden if you buy one for around £20 or so.

Also, please tell us what type of handsaw; ripsaw, crosscut saw, panel saw etc? I'd imagine you're referring to either a panel saw or a tenon saw.

***In Response To eggplant's Preceding Post***

That should do the trick :D.

ahh, if its cutting branches then maybe he needs one of these
1591985_lg.gif

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help, I'm looking for a panel saw, the idea of an electric one is nice but not the most practical. I have seen some nice plastic saw handles, Spear and Jackson, Irwin Jack and Bahco they appear slightly better than the plastic ones I have been using as they have a soft grip handle. However I don't know if a wooden handle would be better and last longer, Stanley FATMAX?

Do any of you sharpen your own saw blades or do you just throw them away and get a new one? I can't decide if sharpening is more hassle than its worth Has anyone got a Teflon coated blade, apparently it reduces friction but I'm not sure if its just a sales gimmick.

Thanks
Tommo

As a carpenter, i use Jacks. I used to sharpen a couple of Disstons until they got stolen about the time that Jacks were introduced so that was that. I've tried most types over the years but find Jacks suit me best. I'd advise carrying two of whatever you choose and use one for man-made materials and one for natural timber because the glues and fibres in the man-made stuff tend to take the edge of new saws rather rapidly.

Tommo2, being a joiner of many a year Iv'e used both wooden handled saws ( sharpening was a real bind, the 3 cornered file costing as much as a modern disposable saw itself ) and the modern plastic handled saws, Bahco saws were made by Sandvic originaly (a famous swedish brand) so they are an excellent tool,I prefer the 22inch as opposed to the 20inch who says size does not matter? I buy mine through http://www.millimart.com/shopping/DIY.aspx[url][/url]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back