A Great Hammer Needed!!

then you need to increase the leverage by using a block of wood under the hammer.

Sponsored Links
I always thought the claw was there so you could hang it over a ledge whilst you had a cuppa, I'm not sure what the other ends for though....... :eek:

ROTFLMAO!

Now THAT makes sense! Shame they never invented anything similar for sledge hammers - let's face it, they're killers to keep hold of while you have a brew :LOL:

Sponsored Links
mattw said:
great link cheers!!

there are loads of hammers on there! do you use the estwings? what exactly do you like about them?

matt

Just get one they are great for hammering in and taking nails out also for hitting things they don't bend or break or come loose thats about it really I have had the same one for about 6 years oh and its got a blue handel and its called george.
for god sake its a ****ing hammer.

The best hammer I have is a 16oz stanley steelmaster claw hammer. I have had this 15 years and used to use it loads for cladding sheds(including pulling bent nails out). It still gets used every day and is as good as ever.

I also have an estwing 20oz claw hammer with the rubber handle. This is ok for heavier work but it used to make my arm ache if I used it for hours. The head will never come loose on this one! As for the leather handles I have heard they can be slippery when wet but I used to work with someone who had one and we used to work in all weathers and he never had a problem.

I would never use a hammer with a wooden handle as they always become loose eventually. If I needed another hammer I would look at a fibreglass handle if it reduces shock.

Thermo said:
most expensive ive got is a stanley one that cost about 20. very comfy and fairly heavy. cant think of the name of it at the moment but iw ill let you know. if the head comes loose then use some wedges to resecure it

Not a bluestrike is it? That's what I use, seems fine to me, had it years, pulled out loads of nails, even whacked it with a lump hammer for the more obsinate customer !!

Oh I've used one of those estwing "weight forward" hammers as well, looks funky, but not sure if any real difference, could be a personal thing. At least hammers aren't left hand right hand biased !! :LOL: ......... Until the ubiquitous "ergonomic" grip comes out, ergonomic for who exactly !!!

An old farmers trick (im no farmer btw) when a wooden shaft becomes loose, leave the hammer in a bucket of water overnight. :idea:

a hammer is a hammer, but its funny how you prefer your own, if you pick someone elses up to use

no competition , estwing is the pros choice , 99% of joiners carpenters/joiners i work with use them , unbreakable , 20oz a good compromise!!

petewood said:
I would never use a hammer with a wooden handle as they always become loose eventually. If I needed another hammer I would look at a fibreglass handle if it reduces shock.
Are you aware of the 17oz fibreglass estwing hammer? Not sure if some of you are thinking of the metal one.

b5_2.JPG

Thermo said:
a hammer is a hammer,

No it's not, try using a ball-pein hammer for pulling nails, or a 24 oz claw hammer for upholstering a chair!

allright smart arse, i was refering to claw hammers and the fact that they will all do the same job, and should last virtually a lifetime with a bit of tlc. but it does have to feel right!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back