A leaking pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We have a leaking copper condensate discharge pipe which runs from our boiler into concrete and under our bathroom. Condensate is only mildly acidic (about the same as tomato juice apparently) and there isn't much liquid coming out out of the boiler running down that pipe, but I just wanted to check whether it will have done any other damage to the flat, structural or otherwise? I am wondering because it will have been leaking for a few years without us knowing. Also, I may need to save up to have it replaced, what will happen if it is left for a few more years?????!!

Thanks for your help

Suzanne

Sponsored Links
Well if the pipe runs straight down and into concrete, presumably it's all a bit damp down there. All the time.
Is there anything vunerable under the concrete? (eg damp proof membrane/polythene that could have been damaged?
Where does all the stuff go or does it just dry out in the concrete?
I think I might try chipping away at the concrete to see how far the staining goes...
If the concrete has turned to fluff, and all the bricks gone soft you'll find out soon enough.
Do you have any idea where the discharge pipe actually goes?
Do you have any idea why it's leaking at the boiler end?
Might it not be possible for a plumber to repair/replace the boiler connection and join it to the existing discharge pipe?

Sponsored Links
Might be better asking the plumbers to have a look at your question. I can tell you the condensate discharge should be in plastic pipe, the condensate is acidic as you rightly say, and will eat away the copper pipe!!! It should discharge into a stack, gulley or soakaway containing limestone chippings, not under the floor. Really needs sorting out properly I would think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back