Insurance Claim - Burst Pipe, Trace and Access Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cut a long story short (Ill try), I had a burst pipe (pin hole in copper pipe) and had it repaired, notified the insurance company Direct Line and they appointed loss adjusters Cunningham Lindsey (!) whom eventually sent down Belfor to start the drying process. I am covered for Trace and Access, New for Old and Escape of Water.

During the drying process of this leak, the humidity levels and other readings began to rise in the same kitchen/dinar area, this indicated there is another leak.

A trace and access report was completed by Belfor, it was identified via infra-red readings that another pipe was leaking elsewhere but in a different place but same open plan area (kitchen/breakfast/sitting area).

A man turned up from a decorating company(!) allocated by Loss adjusters Cunningham Lindsey. He start digging into the concreted area to access the new leak, however after half a day's work he gave up claiming the pipes were not insulated. However, he hadn't found the leak.

His argument is I would have to replace all the copper pipes under the whole area as they "may" been destroyed by the alkaline of the concrete, but the copper pipes he's exposed are not leaking.

Cunningham Lindsey have also confirmed that the onus is on me to get the digging, pipes and insulation in place, and whilst doing this I would find the leak automatically myself :eek:

The previous owners would have had these pipes installed, it appears the liability is now on me to trace the leak and replace all copper pipes. Still don't know where the leak is and what may be the cause of it. (It appears the loss adjuster and decorating company have already made up their minds of the cause).

I am stuck in limbo, don't have the large amounts of money, don't know where these pipes run to, where the leak is, whom to turn to or what to do.

Please kindly advise. Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
CL are loss adjusters who will try and minimise what the insurers pay out - that's their only purpose. Don't take their word for anything unchallenged

Check your policy, and see what is covered and then insist that the correct, and complete work is done if you are covered.

Typically, if you are insured for a particular risk (ie leaking pipe) then you would be covered for all access and making good afterwards

Sorry, but this will not make happy reasoning..

You had an unexpected leak which your insurers repaired under your insurance contact.
At that point you (should have) become aware that you had pipes that had been installed in such a manner that they could become subject to pin point bursts, due to deterioration of the copper, most likely by chemical reaction with concrete, and that had not been avoided by protecting/separating/covering the pipes. You then had the opportunity to take remedial action as normal maintenance of the property. You chose not to undertake that maintenance (probably, and perhaps understandably because of the high cost) but it was required to avoid what was now known must lead inevitably to future certain bursts.
That risk would no longer be covered by your insurance.
Your loss adjusters have responded to the second notification of a burst, have exposed some pipes and confirmed the likely situation.They are therefore declining to accept responsibility for any claim and repair, as the cause is lack of maintenance---not an insured event.

I do think it was a bit "mean" for the "decorator" not to try a bit harder to make sure that his examination was conducted thoroughly enough to "helpfully" reveal the leak. However, with all the information available, can you not chase out the pipe yourself to reveal it? Unfortunately though, it does seem that you are entering a time period when the pipes could suffer repeated bursts unless you bite the bullet and remedy the situation.

Thanks for your reply Tony.

Firstly, had I carried out the building work myself and buried the pipes with no lagging then I understand your point.

As soon as I got the first initial leak, my plumber revealed the pipes and they were insulated (perhaps because they were closer to the boiler?). I was told that it was "just one of those things". There was really no cause of concern at that point. The loss adjuster and Belfor came out saw the remedied leak and never gave me any recommendations because the pipe work under the boiler was sound.

The new leak has been treated as a New Claim. The leak is approx. 6m away from the old leak/boiler. Belfor whom carried out the trace and access report confirmed it's more likely a burst due to pressure. However, never has my boiler been topped up nor have I ever had to tweek any of its settings.

As the Decorator was on the process of digging to find this 2nd leak ( dug a passage from the boiler) It was then we became aware the pipes had not been lagged.

I'm hoping once they found the leak to perhaps replace all the copper pipes and have them lagged. However I've been left stranded in a building site with 2 sets of twins under the age of 6 :cry:

The issue I have is despite having the trace and access facility, the allocated decorators who have used half of the 5k budget (provided by the Insurance co.) are declining to access the leak because of shoddy workmanship from "previous owners/plumbers" (not lack of maintenance on our part as we were non the wiser).

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply Tony.

Firstly, had I carried out the building work myself and buried the pipes with no lagging then I understand your point.

As soon as I got the first initial leak, my plumber revealed the pipes and they were insulated (perhaps because they were closer to the boiler?). I was told that it was "just one of those things". There was really no cause of concern at that point. The loss adjuster and Belfor came out saw the remedied leak and never gave me any recommendations because the pipe work under the boiler was sound.

The new leak has been treated as a New Claim. The leak is approx. 6m away from the old leak/boiler. Belfor whom carried out the trace and access report confirmed it's more likely a burst due to pressure. However, never has my boiler been topped up nor have I ever had to tweek any of its settings.

As the Decorator was on the process of digging to find this 2nd leak ( dug a passage from the boiler) It was then we became aware the pipes had not been lagged.

I'm hoping once they found the leak to perhaps replace all the copper pipes and have them lagged. However I've been left stranded in a building site with 2 sets of twins under the age of 6

The issue I have is despite having the trace and access facility, the allocated decorators who have used half of the 5k budget (provided by the Insurance co.) are declining to access the leak because of shoddy workmanship from "previous owners/plumbers" (not lack of maintenance on our part as we were non the wiser).

Ahh, that sounds better for you.

The poor workmanship was unknown to you, so no reason for you to have informed your insurers. In view of the advice following the first burst, then no reason for maintenance. If you indeed have access cover, then its the insurers problem. The contractor's decision and the amount "allocated" is not your responsibility.
Go back to your insurers. ( An offer to pay for part costs associated with replacement of the existing problem pipes may help.) If you remain unhappy, ask them for their complaints procedure and follow it carefully.

Long shot--how old is the house? NHBRC cover? Not all burst insurance actually does cover access where the access is not of a reasonable normal method--Is this British Gas cover?

Long shot--how old is the house? NHBRC cover? Not all burst insurance actually does cover access where the access is not of a reasonable normal method--Is this British Gas cover?

The property is 1940's semi detached. It appears the pipes under the area concerned are relatively new, as the previous owners had done a new extension to the rear of the house just before we bought it (4 years ago).

Currently going through Direct Line Home Insurance route. Energy bills with NPower dont have extra cover with them :confused:

Hmm----nice workmanship on the extension!
Good luck, let us know the outcome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back