A question for the remainers....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's a serious question for the remainers.....let's not have a descent in to the usual trading of insults.

My question to the europhiles ( no insult intended in any way.) is this ~

Do you think if we had remained or indeed at any time we should have adopted the euro ?

Sponsored Links
Should we? or, Could we?

I well remember the change from £SD to 'new-money' in 1971, it confused the carp out of a lot of people. My grandparents who had a coffee-stall in the centre of town here, had to have a session of trading with pretend money amongst family on the eve of inception, and that was after the change-over period of dual pricing in with both units of currency.

Of course cash was more widely used and coppers/silver more common as things were much lower priced back in 1970/71.

Continuing on this theme, it was widely rumoured that overall the cost of living rose, as prices were rounded up to the nearest 1/2p (now defunct of course, - just don't go there....), and I reckon that would re-occur.

Where I go on holiday, I already get a 1:1 exchange rate. I stay in England.

If Ms Crankie gets her way, dunno about those north of Hadrians wall.

Edit, just re-read the OP's comments, and I am not qualified to comment on this thread, I voted OUT.

Last edited:
Do you think if we had remained
Haven't left yet; don't hold your breath.
If we had remained then it would have made no difference to the pound.

or indeed at any time we should have adopted the euro ?
You say 'should'.

If we had joined the Euro at the original 69p, I suppose we wouldn't now have to pay 89p because of the speculators after the referendum. So, I suppose we should have.

The ERM was, in effect, joining the Euro but that didn't seem to work.

Do you think if we had remained
Haven't left yet; don't hold your breath.
If we had remained then it would have made no difference to the pound.

or indeed at any time we should have adopted the euro ?
You say 'should'.

If we had joined the Euro at the original 69p, I suppose we wouldn't now have to pay 89p because of the speculators after the referendum. So, I suppose we should have.

The ERM was, in effect, joining the Euro but that didn't seem to work.

As you've answered the question we're you a remainer ? Obviously I'm using the past tense as the issue has been decided

Slightly off topic as things haven't collapsed and contrary to the fear campaign things are seeming to flourish, a second referendum may in fact give a bigger majority to the leavers. Now there's a thought. But the issues been decided.

Sponsored Links
Oh I wish the auctioneer was a bit faster !!

That slow I'm whittling away time on here !

the issues been decided.
What do you think the issues were, and what do you think was decided? How many issues were mentioned on the ballot paper?

Did we decide if we wanted to keep free access to the single market?
Did we decide if we wanted to agree to follow EU rules?
Did we decide if we wanted to pay an extra £350m to the NHS?
Did we decide if we wanted to continue making payments to the EU?
Did we decide if we wanted to cut Chinese and Indian immigration?
Did we decide if we wanted UK emigrants in EU countries to retain residency and citizenship rights?
Did we decide if we wanted to impose tariffs on Chinese steel?
Did we decide if we wanted the UK Parliament to be supreme?
Did we decide if we wanted Boris to be PM?
Did we decide if we wanted May to be PM?
Did we decide if we wanted to cut subsidies to Wales and Cornwall?
Did we decide if we wanted to cut subsidies to millionaire landowners?
Did we decide if we wanted to import cheap milk and meat?
Did we decide how much value we wanted the Pound to lose?

I bet you can't even say what you wanted the answers to those questions to be, never mind find another quitter who agrees with you.

As you've answered the question we're you a remainer ?
I did vote remain - purely for selfish reasons.
I, like everybody else, had/have NO IDEA how it will affect the country.
I kept irritating everyone throughout the discussions by stating Nobody knows.

I try to be honest here and discuss from both sides of the argument (when there is one)..
I'm glad I seem to be succeeding.

Slightly off topic as things haven't collapsed and contrary to the fear campaign things are seeming to flourish,
Perhaps that is because those in the know are not holding their breath.
Perhaps it will make no difference either way. Nobody knows.
a second referendum may in fact give a bigger majority to the leavers. Now there's a thought.
I don't see how you can say that.
But the issues been decided.
Don't hold your breath.

Wow, you mean there are pro-EU people making a fuss?

That's just as ridiculous as if we'd had anti-EU people making a fuss.

Which we did.

For forty years.

Are you suggesting they should have shut up and stopped moaning?

Since you're here, tell me your answer to this sample question (surely you can cope with one).
Did we decide if we wanted to cut subsidies to millionaire landowners?

As you've answered the question we're you a remainer ?
I did vote remain - purely for selfish reasons.
I, like everybody else, had/have NO IDEA how it will affect the country.
I kept irritating everyone throughout the discussions by stating Nobody knows.

I try to be honest here and discuss from both sides of the argument (when there is one)..
I'm glad I seem to be succeeding.

Slightly off topic as things haven't collapsed and contrary to the fear campaign things are seeming to flourish,
Perhaps that is because those in the know are not holding their breath.
Perhaps it will make no difference either way. Nobody knows.
a second referendum may in fact give a bigger majority to the leavers. Now there's a thought.
I don't see how you can say that.
But the issues been decided.
Don't hold your breath.

Its simple really, now that the scaremongering has disappeared and we have the glimmerings that out may be actually beneficial for the country if another referendum was organised ( not that I think it will be ), I believe the margin for out to win could actually increase. I could imagine it that's all ......especially as Osborne ( let me think who was he ?!) wouldn't be around with his inane statements ( and that's what they've proved to be ). Just a hunch I've got, that's al.l

Should we? or, Could we?

I well remember the change from £SD to 'new-money' in 1971, it confused the carp out of a lot of people. My grandparents who had a coffee-stall in the centre of town here, had to have a session of trading with pretend money amongst family on the eve of inception, and that was after the change-over period of dual pricing in with both units of currency.

Of course cash was more widely used and coppers/silver more common as things were much lower priced back in 1970/71.

Continuing on this theme, it was widely rumoured that overall the cost of living rose, as prices were rounded up to the nearest 1/2p (now defunct of course, - just don't go there....), and I reckon that would re-occur.

Where I go on holiday, I already get a 1:1 exchange rate. I stay in England.

If Ms Crankie gets her way, dunno about those north of Hadrians wall.

Edit, just re-read the OP's comments, and I am not qualified to comment on this thread, I voted OUT.
Prices doubled for things that cost one old penny and that's a fact, it didn't affect things costing shillings or more, but things that used to cost one two or three old pennies definately doubled. Cost one old pence ......cost one new pence.

lets face it who are the Europeans countries to tell us what to do , they have hardly got a decent record on democracy in the last what 80 odd years

hitler in Germany
Mussolini in Italy
Franco in Spain.
Dictater what his name in Portugal
honiker in east Germany
Hodger in Albania
Tito in Yugoslavia
Ceascu in romania
military junta (colonels) in Greece.
Military junta in Turkey
northern Cypress ???
General jarozelski in Poland.