A question: why does my 1930's house have 2 outlets from the sewage inspection chanber

Vinn. Firstly, I work for a Water Company, and I deal with sewerage on a daily basis. I am also trained in the use of high pressure water jetting and Confined Space access, so I do feel that I have an idea of what I'm talking about. You have told Newboy he is wrong on 2 counts and now I am wrong on 3, so obviously I, and my colleagues have been getting it wrong for the last 25 years... I fail to see where Newboy attempted to correct you, his posts are factual and are relevant to this thread.

I merely pointed out the use of the rodding eye, as you have wrongly stated "There should be another manhole at the point where your house sewer joins the common sewer at the bottom of your garden". Frequently 'blind connections' were made from the house drainage system to the main sewer, the whole purpose of the rodding eye is to allow rodding/jetting access beyond the interceptor. Regs require all parts of the system to be accessible for rodding should the need arise, there are various methods of providing that access, otherwise there would be a chamber at every house connection in some streets!

The term surcharging or surcharged, is used by drainage engineers to describe a sewer that is running at or above full capacity. With drains of that era often being on a combined system, during times of heavy rainfall surcharging can and does occur, which is often why the clay stoppers are missing from interceptor rodding eyes. They have been dislodged in the past, usually falling into the bottom of the trap, thus causing a blockage. Secondly, the use of high pressure water jetting to clean sewers can also result in the dislodging of such a stopper, hence why I feel it unwise to fit a replacement bung in that rodding eye.

Furthermore, you are encouraging people to enter chambers in order to fit a bung. Whilst it appears the OP's chamber in the supplied picture is not very deep, there are chambers considerably deeper out there. Someone else reading this may get the idea to go and fit a bung in their chamber. I will ask, what is your knowledge of H2S (Hydrogen Sulphide) and other gases relevant to the industry?

Sponsored Links
I dont think your workmates of the last 25 years should be involved in your personal errors - neither do I think that after 25 years experience you have to come up with such a flimsy, & at times weird, attempts to justify yourself.
"I will ask" (your quaint phrase) are you in the 19th or the 21st century?

Unless you read what I said and follow the sequence of posts then its no wonder that you feel challenged.
Read the OP as well: he notes (just as I said) & his plot plan agrees that there is a manhole at the bottom of the garden connection - how come a man with 25 yrs experience missed that?

Attempting to confuse simple issues you resort to dreary blocks of lengthy irrelevancies. - all of which are straw dogs such as, "clay stoppers" "H2S" & constant babbling about the clean out hole, where did they come from?
The simple backing up of a house sewer described in the fearful tones of a Biblical apocalypse.
AAMOI: if your "surcharging" comes down from upstream, as you indicate, then it would actually be applying pressure on to the stopper not against it.

Encouraging people to enter a 400mm (?) deep chamber - get out of here.
Again AAMOI Regs 2.22a (Drains & Sewers) requires stoppers to be fitted in manhole clean outs, but on the principle established by yourself they shouldn't be fitted anywhere. Is dont risk it the new Reg then?

One final thing: if bungs might be dislodged by your surcharge principle then why not stop all rodding & jetting on the same principle of what might happen. Why even leave the house - God knows what might happen?

Mods - this thread belongs in Plumbing and Heating . Home of the multi page arguments (y)

What on earth are "AAMOI Regs 2.22a (Drains & Sewers)" when they're at home? This is a UK site, and we work to the UK Building Regulations. Part H covers Drainage and waste disposal, which is the standard that any work carried out in the UK now must conform to. A copy can be found here, perhaps you should familiarise yourself with it. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/drainage-and-waste-disposal-approved-document-h

You clearly haven't got much idea of how UK drainage systems work, or you'd be able to follow what I'm saying, instead of pulling it to bits and trying to make out I am a fool. Again, 'Clean outs' are an American/Canadian phrase, we don't use that term in the UK.

Finally, Hydrogen Sulphide has claimed a number of lives over the years, usually the result of untrained and ill prepared people entering chambers and pits, only to be overcome by the gas. If my advice stops one person entering a manhole and losing their life then it is worthwhile.

Sponsored Links
What on earth are "AAMOI

I would assume an acronym - "As A Matter Of Interest"

Regs 2.22a

Refers to B.Regs Part H but quotes the wrong section - it should be 2.22b

Finally, Hydrogen Sulphide has claimed a number of lives over the years, usually the result of untrained and ill prepared people entering chambers and pits, only to be overcome by the gas. If my advice stops one person entering a manhole and losing their life then it is worthwhile.

Couldn't agree more!

Your own self description in your own words: " I am a fool" - I know, & now we all know. Thank you for that little confession.
For the rest you are a very silly boy, a cowardly scoundrel attempting some sly prejudice about my perceived location - more straw dogs.
The term: Clean outs, is, I can assure you, used in some large builds such as office blocks, hotels and high rise flats in London & another major UK city. Like many N. American construction terms its becoming more common in the UK - perhaps you've never worked on a big job? But its another of your irrelevancies.

And still the high camp blather about "If my advice stops one person ..." thats beyond Kenneth Williams. Its egoistical, sentimental camp.
The best joke is you are serious & dont even realise how up the khazi you are.
Do you seriously imagine that you could sit in the site cabin with a gang of tradesmen & talk like that?

2.22b it is, I apologise. Thank you newboy.

Thankyou, Newboy for clearing that up.

Vinn, as you clearly have nothing to offer other than insults and quotations taken out of context, then I see no point continuing with this discussion with you, other than to wonder why you have joined this site, apart from it seems, to belittle and mock others who are trying to advise, but fail to share your opinion.

Perhaps you are happy to advise people who are untrained, and unaware of the dangers of sewer gases, to enter manholes and chambers? I am only too aware of the danger of Hydrogen Sulphide, and for that reason alone, I stand by my remarks.

Big shot 25 year man there is no need for the OP to even enter that 400mm deep chamber, the plug hole is well within reach of someone safely on ground level - just as the Regs 2.22b requires.
How come you didn't notice this with all your experience?

Anyhow, goodbye for now - dont forget your gas mask.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back