A story about Galileo. Possibly true?

my question is, how soon after the Sun has disappeared would the lack of the Suns gravitational pull take effect?

The sun cannot disappear in our universe. If it could, it would take away the gravity field associated with it.

So gravity moves at light speed but the disappearance of a gravitational distortion is instantaneous?

Whatever Joe.

Sponsored Links
Can you show me a gravity wave without the mass that is responsible for it? No? Then I win.

my question is, how soon after the Sun has disappeared would the lack of the Suns gravitational pull take effect?

The sun cannot disappear in our universe. If it could, it would take away the gravity field associated with it.

So gravity moves at light speed but the disappearance of a gravitational distortion is instantaneous?

Whatever Joe.

There's something's disturbing about this thread. Borders on the obsessive.

I think calorific may have a point

Uri you have already been told but I will tell you again as it doesn't seem to be sinking in

The speed of gravity has never been measured and proved

It's all theory. but there are two dominant schools of thought

a) The speed of gravity is infinite as per Newtons (and others) theories
b) The speed of light is finite as per Einsteins (and others) theories

So kindly point out where it has been proved that gravity travels at light speed? and links to experiments that are in dispute are not definitive btw

On another note this well known theory
"Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light"
what makes light the definitive one what's so special about it?
If gravity is actually proved to have a finite speed I would much prefer the statement "nothing can travel faster than the speed of gravity" as I very much doubt that it would be found to be slower than light
But just a theory too

Sponsored Links
I've always believed gravity to be a 'pressure' not a moveable thing.
If gravity 'moves' can you please explain how and, if possible, what sort of speed are you talking about?

Back