a strange question related to building control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not sure this is the right place or not.

I bought a terraced house, and the kitchen was very old. My intention is to decorate this up and put it onto the market to sell. So I hired some people install a new kitchen and also rewire.

As there is no kitchen, I applied one 1 month council tax exemption via council's website. In the form, I said there will be no kitchen for a while and I will rewire the whole house (now most likely my electrician will only rewire the kitchen part, not whole house due to cost).

However, the council give me 3 month uninhabitable council tax exemption. I am wondering after I finish this work (max 1 month), do I need to talk to building control or something before I put the property to market again (or do I need to talk to building control)?

Really new to this, please help.

Sponsored Links
If all you have done is rewiring then provided your electrician is qualified for self certification then no to contact building control yourself, so begs the question is he qualified for self certification?

If all you have done is rewiring then provided your electrician is qualified for self certification then no to contact building control yourself, so begs the question is he qualified for self certification?

yes, he is a senior electrician and he will give me a certificate.

After everything finished, do I need to contact building control or council? I guess council need to change the council tax status back to normal or something?

Make sure he registers it with Building Control, the certificate on its own is no good he must register it with Building Control. A buyer's solicitor should check with the council and not accept a hard copy on its own so contact building control and check. You'll need to inform the council tax department yourself.

Sponsored Links
Make sure he registers it with Building Control, the certificate on its own is no good he must register it with Building Control. A buyer's solicitor should check with the council and not accept a hard copy on its own so contact building control and check. You'll need to inform the council tax department yourself.

sorry, can you tell me bit more about this certificate registration thing?
I actually thought this certificate means I paid someone to do it (so wasn't me who doing that thing to save money).

So I don't need to contact building control, just tell the council to change the status back?

sorry, I never done things like this before, so want to know bit more before I call the council.

Many Thanks

Even though the electrician is self certifying he still needs to register the work with Building Control, so that building control know that the work you have had done is approved, so you check with BC that he's done it. Just to make sure!

P.S. If you are thinking that council departments communicate with each other then don't, because this is not the case.

It would be quicker to communicate your interdepartmental queries via a call centre four thousand miles away rather than expect offices within a council building (only inches away) to actually go knock the door! :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back