A1 AJ600 Alarm Keypad Dead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The keypad on my AJ600 alarm is dead. Both fuses are intact, mains are connected, the battery is producing just over 14v when disconnected. When I removed the front cover of the panel the tamper alarm didn't sound. Has anyone any ideas to help please?

Sponsored Links
If you put your code in or the factory code do any LEDs change ie tamper or panic.
if they do then the speaker fuse has blown or the resistor connected to the speaker has become detached, probably due to a power cut.(the resistor can be resoldered back on again)

if the LEDs dont change then power the panel down mains and battery and power back up again, you need to use the factory code to stop the panel on power-up.

as alaways please be careful as there is live mains inside the panel.

Thank you for that. However the keypad is dead - I can push buttons as much as I like but nothing happens.

as above then you need to power the system down and reboot it.

another note are the buttons rubberised or flat like a membrane.
if they are rubberised then you have an AJ600N which needs a NVM reset.
post a picture of the panel.

Sponsored Links
Ok its a AJ600 and very old probably one of the last ones manufactured as there is no resistor on the speaker.

if you did the power down and the speaker fuse is ok and still nothing then maybe time for a new panel.

google/ebay Honeywell optima gen4 its probably the closest in size and shape and will be a straight swap out.

Thanks. I haven't powered down yet, partly because I'm worried that if I do and the key pad still doesn't work the outside alarm will sound and I'll have to stop it somehow so I need a ladder and partly because I'm in the middle of mending my wife's car!

I'll have a go at the weekend and report back. Possibly a new panel is a good idea anyway, given the age of this one.

I got round to powering down today and the system has reset - thanks REDSPARKY. I'm going to replace the panel as suggested and thought I'd better replace the external alarm as well as they are the same age. Do I just have to put up with the external alarm sounding when I take the cover off? The battery and sounder are a sealed unit I think. I suppose I could just smash the sealed unit open and cut the connections asap as the external alarm is to be replaced anyway.

if the outside siren went off when you powered down then you will need to disable the battery connection inside the bell first.
there will be screws to open it up.
if it didnt go off then you should be ok to disconnect at any point. dont go clipping any cables as you may well need them for the new bell.

Thanks again REDSPARKY. The alarm didn't sound so it's good to know that I won't disturb the neighbourhood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back